Saturday 17 October 2015

Zenspirational colouring book delight

Those of you who have been following Jane's Journal for some time will know that I am a girl who loves to try new ideas, trends, designs etc with my crafting. I could not possible just churn out repeated projects as I would get bored senseless. I don't think I have a "style" (you may disagree?), as I dabble with every media and designer out there; from Tim Holtz, Wendy Vecchi, Barbara Grey, PaperArtsy, Visible Image right through to Lavinia, Penny Black and the cuteness of Lili of the Valley, to name just a few.

 There is so much talent out in the crafting world to be inspired by and in the last 6 months there is a wonderful person called Joanne Fink who has really been a bright light for me. If you are new to Joanne's work I seriously suggest you look at her blog Zenspirations, here. She has such talent. Her calligraphy is wonderful and the "dangles" (as she calls them) just add to her amazing work. She also has some brilliant videos on You Tube.

I have used calligraphy in my work before and after looking at her blog and videos I was encouraged to start adding it to some of my journal pages. You will have seen all these art journal pieces I made during this spring and summer which I shared in my blog. Here's a little collage of them.


In May I also came across Joanne's blog and started following it. The week before we were going off on holiday to Sicily I read that she was asking for people to colour her pages and be part of her new venture with her books. It was only a few days before we went away but I really wanted to join in.  I spent a couple of days coming up with a design and colours for one of her pages. I used Promarkers and markers and this is what I made.
 Below is the original before I coloured it. Joanne leaves her designs as an open canvas, her books are so much more that just colouring books. They encourage you to make each design your own.

I emailed her my design, went off on holiday and forgot all about it until our flight home....

We were standing in the boarding gate queue at the airport in Sicily waiting to board the plane to fly home. As there was free wi-fi I checked my emails and found an email from her saying that she would like to include my work in her next book! I certainly did a little happy dance in the boarding lounge. My Hb is so very patient with me and he was delighted too ;0)

Since then I have been eagerly awaiting the books publication on 1st October.

On Thursday I received my happy mail from the USA............
 .........yes my own copies had arrived.

 and inside...have you spotted me here in the bottom corner of the page ;0)
I did another happy dance as it really is so thrilling to see your work in print. Below is another design from the new book I coloured. This one is not in the book but I still like it. I even added some gems to it.
The excitement does not end there as Joanne has a new book coming out on 1 November and yes I have another colouring page in there too. I will post here once I get my own copy and I can share it with you. Would you believe that the colouring I did for the newest book was done whilst we were on holiday in Rhodes in September. I was super limited by my supplies and only took one copy of the design away. so if I made a mistake that was it.  The deadline was tight for this piece and I only managed to complete one but I was pleased how it turned out.

Colouring books are huge both here and in the USA. Joanne's  books are only available in the UK on line via Amazon.co.uk  at the moment but in the USA they are really going places and are on line and in book shops. I think Walmart have plans for stocking them in the run up to Christmas. If you see a copy..take a peep, say hello to my swan and be Zenspired.

There is a now huge Facebook Zenspirations "club" of happy colourists of which I am delighted to be a part of. Joanne only started it a few months ago and now we have over 1,700 members who regularly post their beautiful work.  I wish I had more time to devote to colouring but I still also love all my other forms of crafting and there are just not enough hours in my leisure time to do more.

In honour of this happy mail and as a thank you to Joanne, who is such a sweet person I drew and coloured this little piece.

I just used a little piece of mixed media card which I swished through a couple of blue distress inks to give a watercolour background. I drew the frames free hand using a black Micron pen and coloured using my Sakura glaze pens. I love these pens they look like glass when they have dried. I wrote the words and drew the little flower too. I added lots of doodles and pattering. A real Jane's Journal one off.
 Here's a little close up showing off that glossy glaze.

I think bloom and grow has to be a perfect sentiment for me...........and I hope I have many more years ahead of doing so.

Thank you Joanne for your encouragement and support of my work.

I would like to enter my bloom and grow card into the following challenges;

Country View  add some texture
We love 2 create anything creative/mixed media
Pixie's snippets playground #198 I used a snippet of mixed media card to create my watercolour background.
Simon says stamp Monday wonderful watercolour I used inks to make my watercolour background.
Allsorts getting sentimental, use a sentiment
The Craft Barn light my light for my final entry is the light reflected in the amazing glassy glaze of my pens, I also think my piece looks like a stained glass window letting the light through.

Thanks to everyone who visits me here too and supports my work with you kind comments. They are so appreciated. Have a lovely weekend.

Back soon,

Bye for now,

Jane x




21 comments:

  1. Hi Jane! Oh wow - what fabulous work you've done and how exciting to be in print too! Not once but in a forthcoming book as well! Happy dance here for you!!

    Hugs

    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Jane! AND a BIG Congratulations too! xoxoRobin

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome, Jane! Congratulations! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thats absolutely fabulous - great news Jane and well done on your publication - brilliant and beautiful xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your doodling is amazing, love all them all. Congrats on your publication! Thank you so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  6. They say this new trend of "adult" coloring books is very healthy, and a great way to reduce stress! Congratulations and "color on."

    ReplyDelete
  7. *C*O*N*G*R*A*T*U*L*A*T*I*O*N*S*!* on having your work published! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely card and pretty colours Jane, many thanks for joining us at Allsorts challenge this week.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an achievement , well done.
    Lovely creation, thanks for joining us at Allsorts . xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. congrats and love your doodling
    hugs Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, big congrats to you!!!! How very exciting to be in print (again!!!). I love your image, in fact all your images, amazing work. Well done my friend.
    Happy Sunday,
    V x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Jane,

    Congratulations! In print again, yippee! Such a lovely creations again, and I especially cove your color choises, that bloom&grow is gorgeous!

    Wishing you a happy&creative new week soon!

    Yours,
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such wonderful news and such a keepsake colouring book that I'm sure Daisy will treasure in years to come knowing her Gran is in print. What a super tribute card and who knows maybe another one that will head to print. Huge Congrats my friend.
    Hugs, Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I will look for this coloring book. My daughter-in-love likes books similar to this. She's done her own graphic design via computer. Now a mom with 2 and another on the way, she's not doing it for now. But she's got some design book. I'm sure she'd like this book. Congrats on being included in the book!! Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. congratulations, good on you. Your handwriting is beautiful. and those coloring pages deserve to be published.

    ReplyDelete
  16. HI Jane,

    I'm doing a happy dance for you!
    MEGA CONGRATS indeed!
    It seems like you have found another creative niche there with Joanne's designs!
    I love your swan and the fact that you added calligraphy to the image.
    It really pops up nicely and adds meaning to the whole page.
    Love your other pages also!

    Thanks~

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so beautiful!! Thank you for joining in The Craft Barn Challenge.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW - you are a TOTAL SUPER STAR. I take my hat off to you Jane. I love dangling and tangling and I LOVE the page of JF's that you coloured . . . no wonder she wanted to include it in her book - it's fantastic. Many congrats on being published in her books not just once, but TWICE!

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow Jane congratulations on being published, I really like how you are adding your caligraphy to your pages. I love your drawing, those glaze pens really are fab. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Country View Crafts, and have a good weekend. Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think I saw this book the other day. Need to check it out better again. Also saw the DO magazine. I think I might buy it as there's some nice Christmas pages to do and an owl I'm sure my mom would love...I will color it in her memory. The zenspirations remind me of those posters that came out in the 70s and I think I bought it at Harrods since we didn't have much money then but had to buy something there! Don't think I still have it though. My daughter in love just recently received one like it and she's enjoying it. Take care!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; I really enjoy reading every single one of them.

To comply with the new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) May 2018 I wish to state that any comments left here are with your consent that your name & comment are visible to anyone who visits my blog and that you accept that your personal information is being used for that specific purpose.

Jane x