Monday 11 July 2016

Game, set and what a match

Thank you to Billy for holding the fort  blog on Saturday whilst I celebrated Christmas in July.  I gather he spilled the beans of where we were heading yesterday..........yes we were lucky enough to have tickets Centre Court Tickets for Wimbledon.

This is a very photo heavy post so you might want to grab a cuppa first. If you are only looking for my challenge card just scroll to the bottom.

Wow what a match it was... it might have looked like a straight forward win on paper but being there and seeing every point it certainly wasn't. The standard of play was unbelievable and the atmosphere in Centre Court was absolutely electric. Andy was a very worthy winner indeed.

 I thought I would show you around and share our wonderful day out in SW19, the sun even came out in time for the start of play at 2pm....perfect English weather.

We started our day off in the All England Tennis Club with a cappuccino...cool eh! I love their stencil... I would love to own one!


My Hb and I like to get there when the grounds open at 10.30am to have a wander around and soak up the atmosphere. The grounds are so pretty and the flowers are always "Wimbledon" colours.



Obviously all the outside courts were empty as it was finals day but it was still fun to see them

At 1.45pm we took our seats on Centre Court and at 2pm the crowd roared as Murray and Raonic came on court.

We were sitting to the right of the Royal Box and we noticed that a certain couple had sneaked in at that same time.
We also spotted a few other famous faces
The speed of their serves often exceeded 130mph: so much power from these 2 talented players.

Between the points there were times when the whole court fell totally silent....it really was an incredible experience.
When Andy won match point the court just erupted
 and he wept...what a moment
Out came the red  green carpet
and the trophy
and Andy was crowned King of the mens' singles players.

We were also lucky enough to see our British girl Heather Watson and her partner Henri Kontinen win the mixed doubles later that afternoon.

 Her delight was infectious, she was literally bouncing around the court with joy when they won.
 I was also impressed that William and Kate had stayed on to watch the mixed doubles...most of the royal box was empty following the mens' finals match.
 They were genuinely delighted for her win.
The mixed finals trophies were presented in the royal box

and we celebrated too...

 So then it was time to make our way home.




 Another amazing Wimbledon fortnight over. Time to pull the shutters down.


 No more crowds until next year.

 Just time to hop on the bus and make our way home....
My card today was inspired by our momentous day and the champagne we drank to celebrate.
The dies are Spellbinder. The bottle die is an old sizzix and the bubble embossing folder is TH.
 



I gave it a retro feel with my Dymo labels.


I think the sentiment sums up our day..it was the 130th Wimbledon final and it really is an event which has "aged to perfection". Well done to our worthy tennis champions...we were so lucky to have been there to witness their wins.

2016 has been a very kind year to us too so far.

I would like to enter my card into the following challenges;

Pixie's snippets playground #237 I used snippets of card for my champers bottle.
Crafty Calendar punches or dies 1/3
Crafting from the heart  1/3 anything goes
Crafty Hazelnut's patterned paper challenge anything goes July
Allsorts 2/3 one for the boys
Mod Squad 2/3 lazy days of summer I cannot think of anything better than sipping champagne on a warm summer's day.
Try it on Tuesdays happy holidays I love to have a picnic with champagne on holiday.
Simon says stamp Wednesday photo inspiration I used the colours and the bubbles in the waves for my inspiration

I plan to make an art journal page of our day too for the dictionary challenge. The letter this fortnight is  N.......you will smile at what my N is for...any guesses?? Watch this space ;0)

Thanks for your kind visits and sweet comments. Enjoy the week ahead.

Back soon,

Bye for now,

Jane x

24 comments:

  1. Fantastic card ... and a wowser post ! Great!
    Thank you for sharing with us at TioT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello dear Jane,

    You lucky, lucky girl to be there in the finals! I know Andy's win was fantastic BUT we here in little Finland cheered for Henri&Heather even louder, this was "our" (read: for a Finn) first ever adult Winmbledon win! Yippee! Thank you so much for sharing all these fabulous images&your story, loved everything in it! And your card is a cherry on top of cake, perfect!!!

    Wishing you lovely July days, not too long until you can start packing!

    Yours,
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow jane .. you are so lucky. What a wonderful day ... thanks for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lucky you were to be there. We (the whole family)watched the match here at home it was brilliant, I was so delighted for Andy. Your photos are amazing Jane, you seemed to be in a better position than the TV cameras, what wonderful photos of the Royals!! Doesn't Borg still look great!!
    Your card certainly sums up the day with your bubbly. :) Definitely on my bucket list.
    Enjoy your week my dear,
    V x
    P.S. 'N' is for net????

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fab creation, thanks for joining Allsorts challenge, good luck. Great photo's too.
    Happy crafting
    Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful Jane to be part of such a memorable day. Looking forward to your journal page documenting your day. What a great champagne bottle on your card.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous post! I loved seeing your photos you lucky pair being so close to the Royal box! I love your celebration card! So pleased you joined us at Try It On Tuesday! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!!!! What a big day you had! Congrats to the winners! How posh to sit so close to Will and Kate! But I do hope you tell us who the other famous people are as I had no idea. Did you get a souvenir? Love your card.. good luck with your competitions. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lucky you to have been at the final and thank you for sharing the photographs and your card with Try it on Tuesday

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh what a wonderful day and fabulous matches to watch, I can tell from your photos and commentary how much you enjoyed it, so glad you and Martin had such a great time. Love your very fitting card and sentiment to go with all the celebrations it's fabulous xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful day at the tennis. I really felt as if I was there with you. A day to remember made memorable by Andy's win. My one trip to Wimbledon was many moons ago as a young teenager when Gorgeous Gussie made headlines with her white frilly knickers!!!.
    Love the card you made.
    Hugs
    Margaret M

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like you had a fabulous day at Wimbledon, Jane and I bet it was made even better seeing great British talent win in both the men's singles and mixed doubles. I bet the atmosphere was electric! Glad to see you celebrated with a glass of fizz, I mean, it would be rude not to!?!
    Love the Dymo labelling on your fab card too..think hubby has one of those hanging around somewhere...maybe I'll come across it, one day! Hugs, Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful card Jane and what a fun day you had! Loads of brilliant photos too. I've been several times as well - best ever was right next to the Royal Box, as a surprise 50th Birthday treat for a good friend. When Sir Cliff smiled and stood aside to let us out during one of the breaks I thought she was going to pass out with excitement! Happy days!

    Now where did I hide the Dymo labeller?

    Hugs

    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting post. Your card is great.
    Thank you for joining us at TioT.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous card Jane! Your photos are lovely.
    Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge
    Mandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful post!!! I love all of your pictures Jane and enjoyed the candid photos of Prince William and Princess Kate. Yes you caught me - I am a BIG royal watcher.
    Wonderful card too!
    Sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fantastic day out you had. Tour card looks awesome.
    Thank you for sharing it with us at TioT's,
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your card, so perfect for how you spent your weekend. Love all your photos, so many great artsy shots too. Glamour glows and sepia, fabulous filters Jane! Looks like you had a wonderful time. How bad is it that I didn't recognize any of those people, HAHA!! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loved reading and seeing your post today, Jane! Your card is a wonderful reminder of the day! I, like Pamellia, didn't recognize any of the celebrities, but thank you for clarifying a few. Wow you had great seats both for the match and for people watching! I can't help myself when we go to the soccer matches but to look around to see if any important people are there. We do get a lot of stars here, because we are the Hollywood of the east coast, but I would doubt if I would ever recognize any of them.

    Looks like a fabulous trip, and I loved seeing your artsy shots in there, as well. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such beautiful flowers! Seems like a nice trip too ♥

    summerdaisy.net

    ReplyDelete
  21. My My My Jane! I cannot get over your sensational pictures!!
    What a day this must have been, and a sunny one on top of that!
    Your card is beautiful and thank you for sharing your day with us.
    It's a real treat ;))

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a fabulous day, lucky you. Thank you for posting so many great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great card, perfect for this weeks 'One For The Boys' challenge at Allsorts, good luck x Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great card Jane. just loved your pictures of Wimbledon, lucky you to be at the final. We were there last year, great day.
    Thank you for joining us at Crafting from the Heart.

    Pam x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; I really enjoy reading every single one of them.

To comply with the new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) May 2018 I wish to state that any comments left here are with your consent that your name & comment are visible to anyone who visits my blog and that you accept that your personal information is being used for that specific purpose.

Jane x