Thursday 14 July 2016

N is for .....................

I gave you a clue on my Wimbledon post that my N for the dictionary challenge over at the Craft Barn had something to do with the tennis we saw.....I teased you and I bet most of you thought Net...but no I went more abstract....mine is N for New and the new in my art journal page is for New balls and New British tennis champions (and also new pendant for me...more about that later) There are also some fun summer challenges around so I used their inspiration too.

If you missed my post of our awesome day out at the mens' singles finals you can read it here. For those of you who did not recognize the celebs I took photos of in the Royal Box...Kate and William in the first photo are the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge ie next in line to the throne after Prince Charles.  The next is of  Bjorn Borg, in the pale blue suit (a previous supreme Wimbledon champion in the 70s), Boris Becker next (another amazing previous champion in the 80s) and the last is of Benedict Cumberbatch, actor,  of Sherlock Holmes fame...yes I know I only caught a side view)

I had decided before we left for Wimbledon on Sunday morning that I would try to capture some photos of when New balls are ordered...and I did!

 The ball boys (and girls) did the ball change so quickly it was really hard to catch them but you can see the new tube of balls coming out (above left) and the balls being rolled into play.

 and the old ones have to be put back into the tubes too. All in just a few seconds.
I wanted to use the gorgeous colours of Wimbledon for my N art journal page so out came my distress ink in Wimbledon colours. I used them through some very "tennis" stencils including circles, nets and dots.
Strawberries had to feature so I made a small masterboard which I used to die cut  New "balls".
I used this  photo  as my focal.
I took it in one of the on site shops

If you look at the advert  on the wall on the right , it's one for Links.
 For the years that we have been lucky enough to get tickets my darling Hb has bought me a Links charm at Wimbledon.  Recently they have made limited edition dated ones which are very sought after.
When I saw the 2016 tennis racket (above right) advertised a few months ago I mentioned it to my Hb. We both agreed that by the time we got to the finals this charm would have long sold out.

A few weeks ago my Hb came home from work and  he handed me this box and inside...
yes my own 2016 charm. Bless him....in his lunch hour from work he went to the London Links store.  They had already sold out in the shop but sourced one from another branch and he returned another day to collect it for me. Such a lovely surprise.

I was able to wear my new charm for a few weeks before Wimbledon and of course I wore it on Finals' day. I went to look at the Links charms in the Wimbledon shop and not only had they sold out in the first day or so of the championship but everyone wanted to have mine, which I was proudly wearing.

So back to my N for New page. I know you enjoy seeing my process so here is what I got up to in my studio.

I chose my "Wimbledon colours" distress inks and also some archival inks. I looked through my stencils and selected some which looked like balls and nets to me . I also have an ancient wooden strawberry stamp (I think it's PSX..remember them?) I also have a great Stampendous Love prose stamp.
 I decided to make a mini master board using my stamps and then I sprayed yellow Dylusions ink through the circle TH stencil.
I then used a circle die to cut myself my own New balls. 
 In my art journal I prepared an inky background using my stencils and Distress inks.
Once I was happy with my stencilled background I added a few strawberries (of course!)

Then it was time to put on my creative hat.......

Here is my finished N for New art journal page......



I would like to enter my AJ page into the following challenges;

The Craft barn dictionary challenge N
Cheery Lynn 1/2 anything goes their die is the great film set.
Anything but cute summertime fun
Crafty Calendar punches or dies 2/3
Crafting from the heart  2/3 anything goes
Happy little stampers anything goes with dies
Noor anything goes
Creative Inspiration 2/3 seaside, sunshine, and summer holidays I have use sunshine and summer holidays, plenty of time to play tennis and eat strawberries
Moving along with the times 1/3 no designer papers
Love to create 2/2
The Artistic stamper 2/3 all things bright and beautiful

Thanks for visiting today and for the kind comments you take the time to leave me. The rain still keeps making an appearance among the sunshine here. Let's hope we start to get some sustained sunshine soon.  We enjoyed a lovely day out at Uppton, a National Trust property yesterday. The weather was very kind and the rain held off until our drive home.... and yes my trusty camera came along.

Back soon,

Bye for now,

Jane x

28 comments:

  1. Wow just beautiful. Love the mixed media. Thanks for joining the Cheery Lynn Designs challenge. Best of luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know those tennis names:) I know our Cnadaian guy lost but he did quite well for a Canuck. I love your journal page because you really developed the background so well. I love the yellow and purple together

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for telling us who the other famous people were! Of course I knew who Will and Kate were! Your HB is so nice to get your charm ahead.. I do bet people were so jealous when you had one! Your card is gorgeous.. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a bright and colourful mixed media card, it is lovely Jane! How sweet of your husband to get you the charm in advance, that was such a nice surprise!
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really imaginative interpretation for the letter and word new. Beautifully layered and balanced. X

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great word to choose, and your page is lovely A lot of thought went into it and it has worked well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who's a very spoilt girl???? I love your charm, so pretty and lovely to have the date of so much British success.
    Brilliant moment as well, the colours are great and so very Wimbledon!
    We actually had a lovely day today but the forecast isn't great I'm afraid.
    Enjoy your weekend my friend,
    V x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jane, your page is beautiful and really captures all the charm of Wimbledon (no pun intended!). What a great day to attend too! That was such a lovely gesture by your hubby, your charm is a real beauty which will no doubt be treasured for years to come!

    Thanks so much for joining in our Summertime Fun challenge at Anything But Cute. Anne DT x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lucky you on 2 counts - going to Wimbledon and the charm! Great page.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can remember you getting a charm last year from your sweet HB and wondered what you would get this year....if any ! I can see why you fell in love with this charm and it is extra special now knowing Andy one.
    Love how you have recorded your memorable day on your colourful journal pages with such apt colours.
    Have a lovely weekend, Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your husband sure is a sweetie -- beautiful charm with so many memories attached to it. You always make fantastic journal pages and this one really carries some meaning for you. Wonderful colors - wonderful experience!
    Sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great page and great interpretation! Love the background! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello dear Jane,

    Oh how I've enjoyed your post!
    For one, it took my mind away fom all the nasty stuff going on in the world.
    Love your N page and your new pendant. Your hubbie just scored major points in my book hahaha! I also enjoy knowing more about the Wimbledon because even though I used to watch quite a bit of it on French TV, I had never realized how much it was a cultural event.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous page and a great reminder of a lovely day out. We sat and watched on TV and watched Heather Watson win too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun page Jane! I just love that you used the tournament colours, you are obviously very inspired by the event. Such a great mix of patterns, love how you layered up all the circle elements! What a lovely gift from hubby, he's such a thoughtful man!! sending hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great read this was. Lucky you to have that Wimbledon Links of London charm.
    I love the way you have captured the ideas in photographs and then created the wonderful piece of art. It is amazing, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, this is gorgeous!! I love the colors and the depth!! The details are amazing!! Your photos are fabulous, too!! Your charm is stunning!! Thank you so much for playing along at Anything But Cute for our Summer Fun challenge!!

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello dear Jane,

    What a wonderful post, and I love your new charm! You'll remember yuour special day always with that. And wow! how fantastic is that journal page, captures everything perfectly.

    Happy Sunday!

    Yours,
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fantastic and colorful journal page - love it! Thanks so much for participating in the Cheery Lynn Designs Challenge this week and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well aren't YOU lucky. What a great charm and a fantastic hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  21. A wonderful page, gorgeous colours and great images.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous page, the stencils layers and circles look lovely and bright, just right for that Wimbledon season.

    ReplyDelete
  23. A fabulous page, so well thought out.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love you Wimbledon themed project and really enjoyed your post. Love the beautiful piece of jewellery.
    Thank you for sharing this with us at Noor Design UK.
    Hugs Sharon. x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fabulous creation.
    Thank you for joining us at Noor Design, hope you will join us in the next challenge.

    Lotsa hugs Vicky xxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lovely page Jane,methane you for joining in the fun at the artistic stamper. - Debs DT

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great journal page!
    Thank you for sharing with Happy Little Stampers!
    Susan
    Calling All Crafters! – My personal Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  28. jane this is a lovely creation and it looks like you had a fabulous day at Wimbledon. you were spoilt with that gorgeous charm too, you lucky girl! I love links of London. thank you for sharing your creations with us at creative inspirations again. I really enjoyed this post.
    Suzanne x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; I really enjoy reading every single one of them.

To comply with the new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) May 2018 I wish to state that any comments left here are with your consent that your name & comment are visible to anyone who visits my blog and that you accept that your personal information is being used for that specific purpose.

Jane x