Sunday 21 August 2011

Feeling hot, hot, hot..........

I have been so busy with my holiday and days out posts that I have not had time to update you all with my garden. I want to show you the results today of my experiment with my chile seeds.If you remember I bought a tiny propagator back in the spring.
I am delighted to show you the end results..





Just look at my chillies ripening. I have no less than 8 plants ( I gave some away) and they are all producing lots of yummy fruits. I am going to leave a few on to turn red.









I started these plants in my little propagator on my window sill back in March
Very quickly they needed to be potted on and I made my own little cloches using plastic drinks bottles, old jars and anything else which would keep the young plants warm.






By Easter they were all getting quite big and I started to acclimatise them to my kitchen by removing their cloches.











After waiting some time for the temperature to rise in the garden I finally put them outside and waited for them to flower.

And flower they certainly did! I have cropped at least 20 fruits so far and there are so many to come as long as the weather holds warm.

They are the Jalapeno variety so quite mild, I really am not a fan of spicey food but they give a gorgeous warmth to my home made chile con carne and my Choritzo feast dinner.
These beauties I harvested  on Thursday night....

They got chopped up and added to our dinner....yum!


Served with rice, parmesan cheese sprinkled on top and a glass of chilled rose wine.....perfect!


These have been so straightforward to grow that I am thinking of trying a couple of more exotic varieties next year. We plan to havest as many chilies as possible as they also dry really well. They can they just be crumbled into dinners and give a gorgeous memory of sunny days in the garden.

I hope you enjoyed the weekend, it stayed dry for us and we really enjoyed the barbeque yesterday. I have just finished tidying my garden in the sunshine. All my plants have also been given a welcome drink whilst Billy has slept in the shade. Phew, time for a sit down and a cup of tea. Have a great week.

Bye for now,

Jane x

12 comments:

  1. Jane, I really enjoyed your "seed to dinner" blog post! What a neat thing to take something from a tiny seed to a yummy meal! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your chilies did really well Jane, well done you!! Such a pleasure cooking with something you have grown yourself, isn't it!
    Your dinner is very similar to one I make using veggie sausages, I love these all-in-the-one-pot dinners. :)
    Vivienne x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Teresa, I'm glad I remembered to take the photos regularly - it was a post months in the making!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vivienne there is nothing like it is there..and no air miles either ;0)
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jane, Loved seeing those great looking peppers. Your meal looked so fabulous. Yummeeeeee! It's so rewarding to successfully grow vegetables and be able to cook with them and give away. Your's look so green and hardy.
    Love the wedding gown post! What a great experience and you can keep going!! I'll come over and we can go together, now won't that be nice. Have a good week. xoRobin❤

    ReplyDelete
  6. I shall have my ticket ready to come with your Robin ;0) It's a great offer isn't it! BP is worth a visit with or without the dress. I counted 20 ripening chilies on my plants yesterday...yum!Enjoy the week. it's a beautiful sunny start to it here.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a delicious post! Your food looks so colorful and inviting on the pretty plates- How fun that you raised these chiles from seed- I'm more than convinced that you have a very green thumb, my dear! Be careful of the occasional "hot one," and happy gardening! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks delicious, Jane! We're huge fan of chili here too!

    Even I have no skills/genes/ability for gardening, I am thinking that maybe something little green growing during the winter might just get the feeling of spring alive? I might start with some cactus-sort of thing though ;)

    Have a wonderful day, dear, and sunshine to your garden!

    Yours,
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michele, a few years ago we bought a "hot" chilli plant at a garden show,the fruits were tiny by my goodness did they blast the mouth!!I do like the cooler varieties and so does my mouth ;0)
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mia you MUST get something like that, there is nothing like seeing something growing during the winter months. A cactus (or even a succulent) is a great idea and they thrive with neglect!
    It is absolutely pouring with rain here today...a card day for me I think, typical weather for my day off!
    Hope you get some sunshine this week,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your chili plants are doing so well, Jane! Your warm sunny garden must have been the perfect place, plus all your green fingered tlc to get them started of course. And your meal using them looks delicious! Lovely to use your own veggies in cooking. Have a lovely week.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's a rather different day here today Helen...tipping with rain, but at least my plants are getting watered. My garden is a real sun trap so I am lucky to have just the right place for my chillies! Enjoy your week too,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; I really enjoy reading every single one of them.

To comply with the new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) May 2018 I wish to state that any comments left here are with your consent that your name & comment are visible to anyone who visits my blog and that you accept that your personal information is being used for that specific purpose.

Jane x