Friday 26 August 2011

The Tale of Jane's Studio

Once upon a time a crafter called Jane dreamed of having a workspace of her own. From her earliest days as a little girl  she occupied many hours "making and doing" wherever there was a space..the kitchen side, the dining room table, her bedroom floor and many even more unusual places.

When Jane got married for a while she lived in a tiny one bedroom flat where there was little space  for much crafting. She took up cake decorating, as this could be achieved in a small space on her kitchen side. After 2 years had passed her and her Hb moved into their very own  house where she had 3 whole bedrooms. For nearly 5 years she had her own room to craft in and set out her sewing, knitting and other crafts. She had a ball. She made curtain and blinds, lampshades and all sorts of other items. It was crafting paradise.

In 1986 the first of the 2 miracles occurred, her Darling Daughter was born and the craft room became the nursery. Jane was so busy with this bundle of joy that her crafting was not missed too much, she still managed her cake decorating and knitting.

February 1989 arrived and so did miracle number 2, her Precious Son. Darling Daughter moved into bedroom 3 as Precious Son now needed the nursery. And so the house was full! With 2 little miracles Jane had many, many happy years of making and doing with her own children. Her own projects (except the annual birthday cakes of course) were again put on hold.

Time passed and both children grew up, Darling Daughter moved into her own home and Precious Son although still living at home, came and went (as all 22 year old son's do!). He came more often than he went as he did still rather like having clean washing and a nice comfy bedroom to sleep in. Jane also took up a new craft, silver smithing and jewellery making - and still there was no permanent space for Jane's Making and Doing as people often came to stay in the spare bedroom. Jane's crafts were carried out on the dining room table much to the dismay of Patient Husband. Many a day he would come home from work on one of Jane's non work (paid work of course!)days and find every surface in the dining room covered with crafting items. He would smile, make a small gap on the table where he could place his dinner plate, and sit down to eat amongst the beads, wires, glues and papers. He never, ever complained.

The years raced by and in July  2010 Jane and Darling Daughter were at the Hampton Court Flower show admiring all the greenhouses, sheds and other lovely buildings when an idea emerged. There was an old shed at the end of the garden which once housed the pet guinea pigs. Those dear souls had long gone up to the great lawn in the sky. Why not take the old shed down and put up a small studio for Jane's crafting? And so began the studio project overseen by Patient Husband.

It took nearly a year to sort out, design, find a good shed manufacturer and all the rest but just look what appeared at the end of her garden this week........*SQUEAL*




Jane's brand new purpose built studio. It has 2 opening windows, a glazed door, a little veranda outside where she can sit in the shade or shelter from the rain. (There will be much drinking of tea here).
Inside there is an area by the window where her workbench will be set. She can craft away looking out to her little garden to her heart's content. At the moment there is no power or shelving but this is all in progress.She also plans some blinds and flooring.It will be a perfect workspace and no more will Patient Husband have to share his dinner with all things crafty.

So after over 40 years of making and doing Jane has finally got a space of her own. How lucky is she and how very kind her dear Patient Husband  is to have organised it for her..................he may even be invited down for tea ;0)

And the moral of this story......Good things come to those who wait (even if it does take 40 years and 2 little miracles in the making).

And the final seal of approval.....
Well hello Mr Billy, do come on in.........................please wipe those paws....

Bye for now, it's a Bank Holiday weekend, enjoy it if you also have one :0)

Jane ( a very, very happy girl...and a very, very big thank you M)
x

22 comments:

  1. *C*O*N*G*R*A*T*U*L*A*T*I*O*N*S*!* on your lovely studio! I look forward to watching you transform it into a working space with lots of charm.
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so exciting Teresa, my Dad and Hb are looking at putting some power in there for me over this bank holiday and my dad is making me the work bench!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jane!
    You (and Patient Husband) ROCK!!! Yes, I'm so glad that good things come to those who wait...this is living proof! And what could be a more appropriate "christening" of your new work space, than to have a cozy little visit from Billy? Enjoy your new play house! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, I'm squealing to!!!!!
    What a very lucky girl that Jane is! :)
    I have a feeling though that Jane may need to put in a cat bed too. ;)
    Happy weekend,
    Vivienne x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Jane, that is really wonderful studio! I'm so happy for you to have your creative space! You will spend there so great and creative time with Billy! Enjoy and have a lovely weekend!
    xxx Teje

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow you lucky girl and even a porch - that's the best! I'm sure you'll enjoy lots of great hours out there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Massive smile on my face reading that!! Enjoy your gorgeous studio, I always wanted one with a veranda! Have a fabulous bank holiday x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Michele, we certainly will rock in my studio!! Can't wait until I have some power in there!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tee hee Vivienne, I am such a lucky girl and I have already thought about a little fleecy basket for my dear Billy. Enjoy the bank holiday weekend,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Teje I will have such fun out there in my creative space, it will be so good to be out in the garden, Billy will love it too.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jill, I have always wanted a porch to sit out on, I know it's a small one but I eventually got one!
    Enjoy the weekend,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm still smiling this end Laney, it looks so pretty at the end of my garden. I thought you would giggle at the tale...! Enjoy the bank holiday,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jane that is so exciting. I adore your space, the darling house is soooooo sweet. I know you will have so much fun creating and decorating this beautiful cottage. Congratulation, it was definitely worth the wait. xoRobin❤

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Robin, it's sunny here today so great for my Dad and Hb to start working on the power and fittings! Happy weekend,Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my, that Jane girl will sure be like a princess now, with her own castle facing the garden!

    I love it, dear, and you so deserved it after all those years! The most wonderful things really come to those who wait :) and I just cannot wait to see it all decorated and ready for your wonderful crafts!

    Sunshine to all of you (and a special kiss to that inspector B. who approved it all!) from summery Finland!

    Yours,
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jane certainly feels like a princess Mia! Today has been spent working out the electrics etc and Billy has been bought a special fleecy nest to sleep in. (What a lucky cat)There is a real touch of autumn here today despite some sunshine, glad you are keeping some sunshine in Finland. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations!! Your new studio looks darling, and will look even better once you've moved your craft supplies into it. I can't wait to see what you start making once you've settled in. I'm smiling with happiness for you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That grin has not left my face Linda! Yesterday I chose my inside lights and an outside lamp and we bought all the switches etc for the power.I also finalised the shape of my workbench. Work will start next weekend on powering me up!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved the story of Jane's studio! And what a very happy ending the story has!! I love little outdoor rooms, whether they are summer houses, potting sheds, or garden studios they are all places to make your own and are wonderful to play in, to decorate and of course to craft in! So thrilled for you Jane!
    Have fun in the new studio this weekend...I'm sure you will!
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks Helen, I am LOVING my studio...lots to do to kit it all out but just being down there is like having a new home. Enjoy the bank holiday,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  21. So well deserved, I wish you many hours of happy crafting in your new studio. Bethx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks Beth, it's coming along very nicely :0)
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; I really enjoy reading every single one of them.

To comply with the new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) May 2018 I wish to state that any comments left here are with your consent that your name & comment are visible to anyone who visits my blog and that you accept that your personal information is being used for that specific purpose.

Jane x