Sunday 17 May 2015

To the woods...to the bluebell woods, a canvas

A couple of posts ago I shared our recent walk to the woods where the bluebells were in full bloom. If you would like to see that post it's here.
Here are a couple more photos of that wonderful visit.

The woods were so beautifull and I took one particular photo of my son and his dog which I love and this is the one I shared with you.
I gave my son a copy of this photo and I noticed that he had stood it on a shelf and obviously liked it.
 I decided that I wanted to make gift of the photo to my son and rather than just buy a frame for it that I would make him a mixed media canvas. I made my first canvas last month after attending a workshop and felt confident to try one from scratch myself. You can see this here

I bought a 9X7 " canvas and a plain wood frame to mount it in. I removed the glass.

I decided that I wanted to use 3 simple words on the canvas......"To the woods". This is a family joke as my son often teases Bear and asks him if he wants to go "To the woods". Bear will put his head to one side as if to say yes please. The woods are his favourite place for a walk. He runs after his ball, chases rabbits and is so free there to run. It's such a lovely sight to see.
I wanted the words made in wood and found a great seller on Ebay to cut these words for me.
I wanted to keep some white space on the canvas, my son likes clean modern lines in his home.

I added some Tim Holtz tissue wrap and tape for texture and background wording.
I added some Ranger texture paste through 2 of his stencils. Then I started to add some colours with sprays

 I took very few WIP photos as this canvas took up a lot of my studio desk space plus I wanted to take care not to drop anything on my work. I added ink sprays, texture paste and stencilling and spent time getting a balance. I was careful not to add too much as I wanted some white space visible and I really needed a masculine look for my son.

 Here is my finished work


Plus some close ups
 Lots of inky texture


 and you remember in my journal that I didn't use the crackle paste branch, just the tree? Well here is the branch with lots of texture.



I would like to enter my mixed media canvas into the following challenges;

Paperartsy Topic 9 words I love using words in my art and as Darcy says in her introductory video there are so many ways adding them.I think having them cut in wood really adds to my canvas and theme.
Anything but cute vintage garden This is a new challenge run by blogging friend Pamellia, do pop on over and support her in her new venture.
Country View crafts simply scenic
A vintage journey spring colours
Frilly and Funkie snap, crackle, crackle
Art with heart mixed media mahem
Love to create anything goes/mixed media
The Mixed Media Challenge May Flowers
Noor!UK May flowers
Our Creative Corner April showers bring May flowers

I gave this to my son yesterday and he seemed to genuinely love it......it went straight up on his bedroom wall so I guess that says it all.
It's been a gorgeous sunny weekend here and I managed to get lots of hours out in the garden;cleaning out pots, mowing the lawn, re painting the outside of my studio and enjoying lunch and tea on the patio. Obviously that means no crafting but hey sometimes you just have to enjoy the sunshine whilst it lasts.

Thanks for visiting and taking the time to say hello.

Back soon,

Bye for now,

Jane x



27 comments:

  1. Wow Jane, you have knocked it out of the park again (or the woods, per say) lol. I loved your story about your son and Bear, I could almost hear the twigs snapping on the path! This is just such an incredible way to showcase your photo, the colours and texture are completely inspired!! I must say, you haven to canvas art as though you've been doing it all your life!!

    Thank you so much for sharing this beauty with us at Anything But Cute for our 'Vintage Garden' challenge, I just love it! Hugs, Pamellia DT :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn it all, I need to learn to multi-task! Thank you so much for also joining us at Frilly and Funkie for our 'Snap, Crackle, Crackle' challenge! Hugs, Pamellia DT :)

      Delete
  2. Jane, your son and Bear look like they are having an amazing time in the woods! This canvas is such a wonderful tribute and gift. I love the way you designed your background and kept some white space. Awesome sauce!

    Thanks again for joining in our first challenge at Anything But Cute! Hugz! ~Niki DT

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great canvas Jane, love all your textures and sprays of green. I am sure this now takes pride of place in your sons house. Thanks for joining in the challenge at A Vintage Journey and good luck.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such a good mom! I know your son will treasure that forever more. Good job on it! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a fantastic way to showcase the photo! Love your amazing background with all those textures and colours! Brilliant mixed media creation!
    Thank you so much again for joining in our Vintage Garden challenge at Anything But Cute!
    Hugs :)
    Branka DT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photographs Jane...bluebell woods are so magical x
    Your canvas is stunning and it will be treasured for sure ♥
    Wishing you a happy new week!
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  7. amazing photographs - but that canvas - oh Jane - its soooo stunning! Brilliant use of white space - it terrifies me! Brilliant xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi dear Jane,
    Love that special photo frame work of art! I can see why your son would love and cherish it! So nice you could be outside this weekend, we all need the sun and yard work too. We have had great weather also this weekend, getting the yard ready for wedding time. xoRobin

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful layout!! Gorgeous textures and such a great design! Thank you for joining us in Vintage Garden Challenge at Anything But Cute!
    Samra DT

    ReplyDelete
  10. There can never be enough flowers, and bluebells are one of my favorites. Your son must be very happy that you put so much love and energy into this photo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Jane,

    Your canvas is gorgeous! You have really created a work of art here and I'm so happy your son loved it too. Thank You for sharing the "making-of" pictures as well.
    Enjoy the sun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely Lovely, Jane! What a special gift for your son capturing a lovely walk amongst those pretty bluebells! Your April Showers certainly did bring out these beautiful May bluebell flowers!! Just a lovely mixed-media canvas through and through :) :) Thank you again, for joining in my April Showers Bring May Flowers challenge at Our Creative Corner!! Good to see you!! XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohhh this canvas turned out just perfect. !

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the color palette! May is such a show-off! I enjoyed looking back at a few posts too. I'm amazed at all the different techniques you use in your work.
    have a wonderful week!
    Jane T

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a special post Jane. I am sure your son is going to love and treasure it. Also wanted to say thanks for leaving some nice comments on my Sponsor Spotlight post on the Our Creative Corner blog. Totally appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  16. okay learning by looking love how you have used the white space to leave it clean for the title and such a great design with lots of texture
    Hugs Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW, stunning project and adore the vibrancy. Many thanks for joining in with our "anything goes" challenge over at Love to Create. Lou (DT)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much for playing along over at Noor! Design UK!

    Just loved your creation, and hope to see you back here next time!

    DT - Keeley Ainsworth
    Noor! Design UK

    ReplyDelete
  19. The whole layout is just stunning Jane! I love how you left some white space, it really does make the gorgeous scene with the beautiful bluebells stand out. The frame and the words and branch are perfect additions too. Absolutely gorgeous! Thanks so much for joining in our Spring Colours challenge at A Vintage Journey. Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh wow, I love this Jane!!!! Stunning canvas with that beautiful photo as the focal point. The textures and use of colour is brilliant too and I love the white space you left as it really draws in the eye! This is definitely a new favourite, - it really inspired me!!
    Thanks so much for adding it to our latest challenge at A Vintage Journey!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This piece is stunning Jane! I love this picture of your son! Great job!
    Thanks for joining us at Art with Heart Mixed Media May-hem!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful canvas. Love the textures and colors! Thanks for joining us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous frames canvas! I know he loved it. Thanks for joining us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Jane, I did comment on this before but I wanted to come back and tell you that I am so glad that you were chosen as a winner over at OCC. Much deserved win. - Candice-

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow!! How gorgeous is this??? ! I adore your background and all the little details with the paint and crackle!! Thanks for playing along at Anything But Cute xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; I really enjoy reading every single one of them.

To comply with the new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) May 2018 I wish to state that any comments left here are with your consent that your name & comment are visible to anyone who visits my blog and that you accept that your personal information is being used for that specific purpose.

Jane x