Saturday 7 February 2015

Art for heart's sake

Yesterday I managed to get out from work promptly (that's a rarity) and I took advantage of the afternoon daylight just to enjoy some creative play. I very rarely do this as my crafting time is very limited. I tend to make things for specific occasions but this time it was just art for arts sake. There were several challenges that I wanted to join in with so I decided to make something heart/love themed that would tick all their boxes.

This week has been bitterly cold but beautifully sunny so I decided to use a cold/winter palette rather than the usual pinks or reds associated with traditional Valentine/love themes.

As I wanted just to play and not make anything formal I dug out my Dylusions journal which I first used at my buddy Brenda's Dylusions workshop last summer. Brenda is also hosting a lovely art journal link up over at her blog, encouraging everyone to share their creativity. Do have a look at the link here and it would be lovely to see lots of people joining in.  It is not a challenge, there are no prizes; it's just for fun and we all learn so much from one another.

I was also trying to finish off my folio that I made at her recent workshop and I had been printing off some of my lovely vintage family photos to use in it. I had a spare photo of my Great Grandma sitting on the side I picked it up and looked at her. I adore this photo and I wondered what she might have been thinking as this was taken?
My Nan wrote down some of our family history before she died in 1989. Both my Nan's parents died young, in their thirties. My Nan was named Florence as was her mother above. Florence senior was born in 1882 and I guess died around 1912 when my Nan was about 7 years old . This photo and a pair of earrings, which she gave me, are the only things she ever had which belonged to her mother.

Everyone says that Florence's husband, who died only 6 months later, died of a broken heart. Now I'm not sure how true that can be but it shows that they had a very deep love for one another.
This also gave me the idea for the theme for my journal page.....art for hearts sake.........so here is my creative journey together with my process to share with you......

I started off with some gesso and some torn book pages for texture.






I got out my blue and silver sprays, inks and paints for my wintry colour scheme.Here are just a few of those I used.










I mixed some blue acrylic paint into grunge paste and scraped it onto the pages using a palette knife.











I  pushed my TH honeycomb stencil into the paste to give some extra texture and also did the same with the texture fade stencil











I added some swooshes of other coloured acryllic paints, spritzed with water and allowed everything to drip around. I love the way it pools around the grunge paste.

I then added some more gesso by stamping with a wooden heart stamp.

I continued to play, adding colours, water, wiping bits off and knocking back with watered gesso until I was happy with my background. I then added a few more blues using Distress stains.


I also sprayed some blue and pewter metallic inks onto some white paper flowers and also onto some strips of card. I used the card for my die cuts.

These dried with a lovely metallic sheen. I then set about creating my pages using the elements I had assembled.





So I am sure you are wanting to see my finished pages.
Here were are

I can imagine my Great Grandmother Florence writing a love letter  to John, my Great Grandfather. In those days most communication would have been via letters. I wonder what it might have contained? They were married on Christmas day 1902. Their daughter (my Nan) was born in 1905 and their son a few years later.
How tragic that she never saw my Nan even reach her teenage years, but life in those days was very short and very precious.

Here are some close ups;
What an apt Tim Holtz stamp this is. I added it by stamping on tissue paper. I love the way this technique make stamps blend in so well. You can see parts of the torn book pages still peeping from underneath the layers of paint and ink and also the textured stenciling in the Grunge paste. I also stenciled blue archival ink through Tim's heart stencil. I added a twine bow,  as I like to think that Florence might have tied her love letters from John in this way.
I also added some silver mesh and some glitter to the flowers to give them some shine and metallic sparkle.
You can see the pewter metallic spray shining on my leaves and lacey die cuts and the sparkle on the flower again below.
Below you can see I stamped some love wording using Watering Can archival ink by Wendy Vecchi.
and some more here


and one final "artsy" shot
I really hope I can get some more time just to play and if I do I will share it with you. My pages really were "Art for hearts sake", what could be better?

I would like to enter my journal pages into the following challenges;

PaperArtsy Topic 2; Shiny stuff I have been following this great blog for a couple of months and I have finally jumped in to join their current challenge by adding lots of pewter metallic paint, silver mesh and glitter for my shiny stuff entry.
Craft stamper Take it make it February challenge  stencilling
Country View challenges drips and drops
A Vintage Journey tic tak toe my line is the 3rd (right hand) vertical line; ribbon/twine, die cuts, stains
Wendy Vecchi's Make art  hearts. As I have shown above I used her watering can archival ink for my love stamping.
Frilly and Funkie be my Valen-twine
ABC C is for Cupid
Our Creative Corner tic tak toe my line is the middle horizontal line; paints, stamps, stencils
Inspiration Journal love is in the air
We do doobadoo hearts and flowers

I hope you are enjoying  the weekend and keeping warm. It has been very slightly warmer here today and no more snow, thank goodness.

Thank you for all your kind visits, it's lovely that you take the time to visit me here,

Back soon,

Bye for now,

Jane x

43 comments:

  1. I simply adore this page. I think the story that goes with it is what makes it so meaningful, but the colours and techniques you have used fit so well together. I never thought of pressing a texture stencil into paste (I always push it through). Thank you very much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane, this is such a lovely piece.... your photo and its history are wonderful. I love the colors and all the various ways you developed them. Your die cuts add so much to the richness of this piece as well. I look forward to seeing more of your work! xx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's clear that you gave much consideration to your beautiful Journal pages Jane and the outcome is very special. I love the way you have created your background and I thank you for sharing the step by step. Your great grandmother is a beautiful woman and this is a fabulous tribute to her memory

    Thanks for hopping on board with us at AVJ this fortnight

    Hugs Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Jane, I love the colours! The photo of your great grandmother is precious, she looks like she has just stepped out of Mr Selfridge! I have to admire your stamping, no matter when I try it's never quite right!!!
    The weather here has been lovely these past couple of days, 8 degrees, it feels positively tropical compared to earlier in the week.
    Enjoy your weekend my friend,
    V x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, Jane! What a beautiful photograph, made even more beautiful on your wonderful Journal page! I love all the layers and textures, the subtle colours and wonderful sentiment! Truly a work of art to be proud of and such special meaning too! Hugs, Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is absolutely stunning Jane - your colours are gorgeous and that picture of Florence is amazing. My maternal grandmother was also called Florence. Lovely name. Big hugs Rachel xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your card is fabulous.. it's so meaningful when you add your own family photos and story to it, also. I had an aunt Florence.. it is a wonderful name. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful way to memorialize this lovely photo of your great gran - two lovely pages with great colors and textures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous AjJ page filled with love. Great way to o hear the story behind the art too.
    MaggieH

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Jane, this is gorgeous! Your texture is amazing and I love the vintage blues and browns together! Beautiful work with the stencils and, of course, I love your little twine bow!!

    Thank you so much for joining us at Frilly and Funkie for my 'Valen-Twine' challenge! Hugs, Pamellia DT :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a lovely keepsake, Jane. I love all the colours and the effects you have created, and the sweet nostalgic photograph that inspired you. Such an interesting and poignant family story behind it too.
    Wishing you a happy weekend.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooooooh everything on this is absolutely exquisite! What a lovely way to remember your family members too. The attention to detail and all the lovely step-by-step photos were a great inspiration. So thrilled that you decided to share this at OCC.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful tribute to your Great Grandma. Colours, textures and sheen are fabulous. Bet she's smiling!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are beautiful journal pages, I love this soft blue which matches so nicely with your photo. And Thanks for showing the process. Thanks for joining us at Our Creative Corner.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely idea. I have so many old photos from my mom's side of the family. Great-great grandparents......Amazing photos and clothes they wore back then!!! It would be interesting to do some cards or scrapbook pages of them to document dates and names. My daughter and I have a good time looking at them. Me thinks I should put together something for me and my siblings and give that as a gift at Christmas!! Make a page then photo copy it for the gift. Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your great grandparents must've loved each other if it was even suggested that he died of a broken heart. What a lovely tribute to them and such wonderful quote.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my Jane, what a truly poignant story!
    Your gorgeous journal pages are the best homage Florence could have.
    Thank You so much for sharing her, your story!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Jane what delightful pages you have created. The photo of your grandmother is beautiful and I love the wintry palette you chose to display her on. The layering and embellishing have all added to some fabulous effects creating depth and dimension and Tim's stamp works perfectly here.
    Next time we get together you must bring this and your folio to show me as I really want to see more of your work irl.
    Thanks so much for joining me on your own visual journey, I love coming to see what you are doing.
    Have a great week.
    hugs Brenda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi dear Jane, Your card is stunning. Just love the sentiment and the many steps to making it the fabulous card it is, is fascinating! "Art for Heart's Sake" what could be better, hope you get more " xoxox, xoRobin

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOVE your journal pages Jane, TFS your process and you have really brought your photograph back to life with your creativity and love that has clearly gone into these pages and is now beautifully documented for years to come.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a sweet story and beautiful pages to honor it! Thanks for joining us at the Take It Make It Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What beautiful pages! All those fabulous textures-loVe it! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fantastic Journal page, thanks so much for joining us this month at CVC.
    Smiles:)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your page is so, so beautiful Jane, the picture of your grandmother is wonderful and I love the blues and browns that you have surrounded her in and the texture you created is fantastic! Thanks so much for joining in with us at A Vintage Journey and also at Inspiration Journal. Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  25. WOW - this is such a great page. Very inspirational work here Jane. Thanks for sharing how you did it.

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful pages which are filled with depth and delights! I love the family portrait too - I have some similar photos and they are much treasured. Your colour palette makes the whole spread sing too. Thanks so much for joining in my challenge at Our Creative Corner this month. Juliax

    ReplyDelete
  27. Absolutely GORGEOUS journal pages Jane. I LOVE this layout. Thank you for joining us at Frilly and Funkie and A Vintage Journey. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my Jane, could this get any more stunning!

    Thank you for sharing this fabulous creation with us

    Lin
    ABC

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gorgeous pages, Jane. Beautiful texture with stencils and stamping.Love this!!
    Thanks for sharing step by step photos.. they are inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wonderful page, with lovely vintage photo of your grandmother!
    Thank you for playing with us at Our Creative Corner!
    Hugs from Slovenia

    ReplyDelete
  31. I absolutely love this Jane. The blue colors are wonderful as is all the stenciling. And such a cool idea to use the photo of your great grandmother! And that Tim Holtz stamp is absolutely perfect for this piece. Great job!

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  32. Fabulous pages, love your style !!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Stunning journal pages ...... fab details. And I love the vintage photo, what a treasure! Thansk for joining in with the TIMI challenge ..... good luck! Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  34. amazing journal pages - love all the details

    ReplyDelete
  35. Gorgeous blues! Thank you so much for playing along in the February challenge at Craft Stamper! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a wonderful tribute! Thanks for playing joining the Craft Stamper Take It Make It Challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Beautiful pages and what a wonderful way to preserve precious memories! Thanks so much for playing along with the Wendy Vecchi make ART challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Fabulous art journal pages! I love the blue tones! Gorgeous creation!
    Branka xxx

    ReplyDelete
  39. Beautiful art journal pages Jane, thank you for joining us over at craft stamper take it make it challenge. Xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  40. This is beautiful Jane. I love the name Florence, it was my Great Aunt's name and when we got our new kittens I did consider it (along with 'Minnie' another of my Great Aunts). I love how some of the old names are coming back info fashion. Bethx

    ReplyDelete
  41. Beautiful shades of blue in your page, Jane, reflecting the sadder parts of your wonderful family history - broken hearts are absolutely a real thing... Gorgeous way to collect family memories. Thanks so much for playing along with your Drips and Drops at Country View Challenges.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; I really enjoy reading every single one of them.

To comply with the new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) May 2018 I wish to state that any comments left here are with your consent that your name & comment are visible to anyone who visits my blog and that you accept that your personal information is being used for that specific purpose.

Jane x