Friday 17 April 2015

A rock pool treasure niche

During my studio time this week I have been working on a little project, or rather a niche, as this is the theme over at Paperartsy. I was very inspired by Leandra's introduction last Sunday but quite challenged as to what I would make. Now that that I am back outside in my garden studio I can just leave WIP on my desk, which I love. No pressure to clear anything away. I also wanted to combine a couple of other fun challenges including "Through the looking glass" over at A Vintage journey.

Initially I rather struggled with these themes, Niche to me means a little hidey hole to put something treasured on display. I also wanted some different ways of using "glass". I had a brainstorming few days of trying to think of a theme and finally came up with an idea to make a little whimsical piece for my Hb.

As my blogging friends know I always love to collect shells when we go on holiday and my very patient Hb tolerates me very well and sometimes accompanies me on my little searches along the shoreline.
This just one of those moments a few years back on Kephalonia.

Sometimes I spot sea glass which is always a pretty find. We often holiday on the Greek Islands and I always bring a few of my treasures home. I have a big glass jar in my studio and after carefully washing I put them in there. I often use them in my crafting but the rest of the time I just love to look at them and remember our wonderful sunshine filled holidays. When I Iift the lid there is still a slight smell of the sea...mmm. I decided I would make a little niche to display a few of the shells and include a piece of sea glass as a little sunshine reminder for him.


I had no real plan of how I would do this when I started but I often find that my inspiration starts to flow once I get going. I wanted to play with my new Mermaid lagoon Distress ink and I also chose Cracked Pistachio, Tumbled glass (of course for the VJ theme) and Vintage Photo DIs too. I wanted a beachy browns and blues theme.

I made a little round niche box from 2 round die cuts and a piece of card which I added some book pages and stenciling to for texture.


These pages are actually from  Dicken's A tale of two cities which my Hb gave to me for my crafting. He is an avid reader so it was perfect to use for texture.

 I blended the inks and also added archival ink through my latest TH stencil. I used the great free Visible Image stamp from Craft Stamper as it could represent waves. They have a great competition for using it on FB running. I also had a plan for a quote to include on the other side of this piece of card on the right.

I gold embossed my Visible Image stamp quote on the lid. I added perfect pearls too for some shine.

 I didn't want to use ribbon so I used twine and when I added this to the edges of my niche, inspiration stuck me........I would make the inside like a little rock pool and even make a message in a bottle.

 I put teeny weeny shells in the bottle and a little key and tied the neck with twine and a heart which I altered with alcohol inks. This would be "the keys to my heart". This little bottle is only about 1" or 3cm tall.

 Yes I'm sorry I am a born romantic and after 36 years of being with M, I won't be changing.

So here is my finished niche. It was so hard to photograph so thought I would show some photos as it is opens up.

This is the lid tied with twine. To give an idea of size it is 8cm or 3" in diameter.
This is a side view showing the pearl fastening I made
untie the twine....
and here is my love message to my Hb. It's a T Holtz quote stamp.
Underneath you can see my little rock pool niche emerging


Take out the message in a bottle, complete with the keys to my heart ;0)
and these shells and piece of sea glass sit glistening in their rock pool niche


In case you are thinking I have filled it with water...the secret is Glossy Accents and a sprinkle of frantage. I had such fun making this, my always vivid imagination got really carried away. I gave it to my Hb this evening and his initial silence as he opened the lid and read the love letter made me think he quite likes it and it stirred lots of our seaside memories.

I would like to enter my rock pool niche into the following challenges.

Paperartsy Niches
A Vintage Journey Through the looking glass
Rhedd's creative spirit anything goes
Simon says stamp Monday In the middle my rock pool is in the middle of my niche
Inspiration Journal Everything goes
Papertake Weekly words words words
Stamps and stencils  anything goes
That's Crafty  grunge grunge grunge
Simon Says stamp Wednesday make your own background
Cute card Thursday charmed I used a heart charm and a key charm in and on my little glass bottle.

Thanks for visiting me and a warm welcome to my latest followers, it's great to see you here  following my creative journey. I'm off to my Finnabair inspired/Prima workshop on Sunday....I am really excited. I will share my makes with you next week.

Tomorrow we're off to Southampton for some Daisy Jane time. A pretty perfect weekend in my books.

Enjoy your weekend and I hope you get some crafting time yourselves.

Back soon,

Bye for now,

Jane x

27 comments:

  1. I love this Jane, one the cutest, gorgeousist, genius creations I have Ever seen, bravo xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe you old romantic you!!!!! :)
    What a gorgeous little box, so cleverly made I bet M loves it! You put so much work into your creations.
    Wishing you a wonderful weekend my friend, enjoy your workshop and your Daisy time, as if you need to be told! ;)
    V x

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah Jane - this is soooo beautiful - I adore it - so glad your Hb liked it - I think men can be very unpredictable where art is concerned!!! Enjoy your daisy jane time - big hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just left a comment but not appeared. iPad issues? Let's start again.
    Love your beautiful niche Jane, it's gorgeous and so creative. It's wonderful watching where your imaginative mind takes you and where you end up. Lucky Martin. Have a wonderful day with Daisy and on your workshop, looking forward to seeing what you make.
    Hugs Brenda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwwwww... the most wonderful creation, Jane,

    Kisses to you lovebirds! This just made my Saturday, thank you so uch for sharing!

    Sunshine to your days!

    Yours,
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE this, Jane! Such a beautiful trinket full of memories and love! It really is like a minaiture rock pool inside - so creative! Hugs, Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy freaking awesome Jane!! I've been oohing and aahing and pinning for goodness knows how long! The colours are so wonderful for your theme and I love the natural fibres, so perfect!! Your itty bitty bottle is a complete charmer and your glossy accents water around the seashells is pure genius, it looks real!! WOW!! I am truly blown away, you are such an inspiration! happy weekend to you, hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. FANTASTIC! It's like you captured a real live secret sea in your box. BEAUTIFUL. j

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Jane,

    What a little treasure you have created here!
    On top of being a talented and creative artist, you are also quite the Romantic!
    Love your imagination and the fact that you can actually create what you envision!

    Have a lovely week-end with miss Daisy!
    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow - L-O-V-E this Jane! mostly your thought process and how you brought it to life! love your little niche pool - the wonderful bottle of tiny shells - I too am a collector of shells and beach glass (although the glass is becoming harder and harder to find these days of plastics!) thank you so much for sharing with us in the AVJ Through the Looking Glass challenge! hugs, Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is sooo lovely and the meaning behind it is wonderful. Thanks for sharing it with us at Inspiration Journal!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sweet Jane, I'm in complete AWE of your treasure, romantic and Love box! I can't imagine making anything so spectacular and the reaction from your Hb was priceless. You have evolved into a superior card and special occasion crafter! I hope your weekend is fabulous, I can't imagine any time with Daisy Jane and workshop anything but SUPER! xoRobin

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, this is exquisite - what an amazing piece of art - I love the whole idea, and how you used the colours to give a wonderful summery feel to it. Totally delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness Jane. what a most beautiful creation and a wonderfully romantic post and gift for your DH. Absolutely love all your fantastic elements, so much time and heartfelt ideas and artistry have been poured into this. A treasure in every sense! Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely treasure! You start out with a beautiful design and open it up to see all the wonderful secrets inside. Thanks for playing along with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really love the thought and emotion that has gone into this piece of art! Great idea to incorporate memories and moments into your challenge! Love the colours, love the pearl fastening, love the whole thing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful creation, Jane and how brilliantly you have photographed it. A delight. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh this is soooo beautiful, all the fabulous details and love how there's a bit of the seaside hidden in the bottom.
    Thank you for joining us at Simon says Stamp Wednesday Challenge.
    Luv
    Debby

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful project Jane ! Love the colours and the little note inside ! Thanks for joining us at Stamps and Stencils. Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just brilliant! And so beautiful. Love all your fabulous details. Lx

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a treasure....lucky M. Thanks for sharing all the details. Happy late April!! Where did the month go?!
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh how very pretty! I've just finished a project too with the exact same colours and of course seashells. Just LOVE them. Fantastic project. Thank you for entering your project at Rhedd’s Creative Spirit. Sammy-x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Jane, this is absolutely fabulous!!!!!!!!!! Beautiful and thoughtful and wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This truly is a treasure trove Jane!!! I love the idea of using the little bottle that way and of course the GA and Frantage really do look as though the shells have been freshly plucked from the sea. Thank you for joining us at A Vintage Journey, Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your little pot of seaside treasures, Jane, complete with seawater shimmer - an absolute treat of a project. Thanks so much for joining us on A Vintage Journey.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Seem to have missed this post Jane. Love this keepsake for your Hb, a super idea to encapsulate memories of the seaside. Thanks for joining in the challenge at AVJ.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fantastic love all the details, thank you for joining us at Stamps and Stencils..
    Sharon xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; I really enjoy reading every single one of them.

To comply with the new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) May 2018 I wish to state that any comments left here are with your consent that your name & comment are visible to anyone who visits my blog and that you accept that your personal information is being used for that specific purpose.

Jane x