Sunday 11 January 2015

Tim Holtz's 12 tags of 2015, a new beginning

I was delighted to see that Tim is continuing this annual tradition. I joined in last year and had the most amazing creative journey learning so many new techniques. Do think about joining, it is such fun and he offers a prize to 12 randomly chosen entries every month so there is a chance that any one can win. I still have my fingers crossed to come out the hat at some point! You do not need to create tags, you can make anything. As I did last year I have decided mostly to make cards for special celebrations instead of tags but the odd tag may still feature. I have had no crafting time for over a week as we have been looking after my son's dog whilst he enjoyed a much deserved skiing holiday. 3 journeys up to do the walking and petting and trying to fit in going to work kept my Hb and I more than busy.

I was so pleased this weekend to finally get some inky time. I find crafting such a wonderful way to relax and really miss it when I get no time to play. Tim's January tag can be seen below.
12 tags of 2015 - January | www.timholtz.com
and his brilliant step by step can be seen via the link here.

As I knew I would not have the time until this weekend to make my card version I decided to treat myself to some tissue wrap which I have been wanting to buy for a long time and I also bought a couple of the Distress stains.


For my card I was inspired to use the same techniques Tim used to make the background. He has made such lovely textures. I was also inspired to used the Tarnished Brass distress glitter and paint and the chit chat words. I also wanted to used the date 2015 but more numerically than Tim did. I made this card for my Hb's birthday card later in the month, as I did last year. I also wanted to add a happy birthday sentiment somewhere.

I know that last year you all enjoyed seeing my process so I will continue this year. 
I stuck some wrap to my card base, wrinkling parts of it to give some extra texture and then adding various distress paints using my fingers.




I then add some squirts of Vintage photo and Tarnished bronze inks.
I then continued to play and eventually dried everything off when I was happy with my backing card.

I don't have any of the alpha parts Tim has so I die cut my numbers in large and small 3 times and stuck them together to made them stand out on the card. I painted them with black acrylic paint and I added Distress glitter to the small ones and tarnished brass DP to the large ones.





I also used some chit chat words as Tim did but mine are related to celebrating my Hb's birthday. I also wanted to incorporate stars into my design but mine are brads which I coloured to match my card using alcohol inks.

I also decided to use my dymo label creator to make the words happy birthday

So armed with my components it was time to put on my artistic hat and play with my design. Here is my finished card.
I love this inky textured background
You will see the altered stars and and also some splashed of gesso I added as well as some remnant rubs.
I need to keep this one under wraps until 20th Jan, shhh don't tell my Hb ;0)

I would like to enter my card into the following challenges;

Tim Holtz 12 tags of 2015 January
Inspiration Journal fresh start my fresh start is my first version of Tim's great inspiration challenge for 2015
Crafty boots out with the old in with the new my new are my new distress inks, paints and tissue wrap my old is the Dymo label make, I've had it for years!
Cute card ThursdaysWhat's new ...mine is the tissue wrap and new inks
Simon Says Stamp Wednesday something new my new is making my own version of Tim's alpha parts using die cut and paints.
Frilly and Funkie anything goes
Simon says stamp Monday make some new friends but keep the old my new are the inks and tissue wrap, my old are the number dies and my dymo label maker
Country view crafts use something new to you my new is the tissue tape and the new metallic DIs and DPs



So there we are, a new beginning for another year of creativity with Tim. Thanks for the journey Tim!

Back soon,

Bye for now,

Jane x

15 comments:

  1. Jane, your designs really are spectacular! I hope that you win a lot of the competitions. Do they have prizes? Have a great new year of more inspirational designs. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a brilliant effect Jane, a great card for your Hb! I love the use of the dymo, my goodness that takes me back, I remember having one in '70's (she whispers)!!! ;)
    I really think it's time you came out of that hat!!!
    You've had quite the time babysitting Bear, haven't you, bless him. :)
    Wishing you a great week ahead,
    V x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful project! Thanks for joining us at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog!!! - Ashli :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Jane,
    It is very lively and with a touch of grunge...it is great.
    Thank you for joining us at CVC this month.
    Smiles:)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great card for your hubbie! Love the textured, vintage background and those numerics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful card and a great take on Tim's tag with the terrific background you made. Your husband should be very happy with what you created for him. Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous card, some really great techniques employed to make it. Thank you for joining in the fun at Crafty Boot Challenges.

    Dionne

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you are continuing with the Tim Holz inspired tags this year, Jane! You made some lovely things last year :) This card has such amazing textures and lots of interesting techniques, your hb will be thrilled I am sure!
    Happy week!
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous design, Jane! Thanks so much for joining us at the Frilly and Funkie Challenge Blog!
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful!! Love that pretty background! Great work!

    Thank you very much for joining us this week at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog!

    hugs...
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great take on Tim's tag and it has turned out a fabulous masculine card, I'm sure your hubby will love it. Aren't the new sprays fab to work with.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fantastic way to take inspiration from Tim's tag and turn it into this wonderful card. Thank you so much for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Jane,

    Wow, what a wonderful card! Here's to new, creative year!

    Many greetings from snowy Finland!

    Yours,
    Mia

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; I really enjoy reading every single one of them.

To comply with the new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) May 2018 I wish to state that any comments left here are with your consent that your name & comment are visible to anyone who visits my blog and that you accept that your personal information is being used for that specific purpose.

Jane x