Sunday 7 February 2021

Dinosaur love

My nearly 4 year old grandson is absolutely dinosaur mad. He loves everything about them. He has books that he loves hearing read to him over and over again and models which are hard and pointy but he insists on taking to bed. I have missed him so much during Lockdown but really enjoy our WhatsApp bedtime stories. Thank goodness for modern technology as we have not seen our grandkids now for over 3 months.

I zoom craft with Daisy (my 7 year old granddaughter) every Wednesday and we have made lots of fun things. She has become quite the expert stamper. What I love is that I can give her an idea and off she goes to put her own spin on it. I send her lots of crafting makes.  I send Jack occasional artist trading cards but I was conscious that I wanted to make something especially for him. Boys are quite tough to make for! Recently I found some fab dinosaur stamps for sale online at Stampers Grove which I thought would be perfect to make his April birthday card with. I bought the mini set and a couple of the larger ones and when they arrived I had a little light bulb idea that I could also make a dinosaurs' pairs game with them for Jack. I made some distress inky backgrounds, which I shared on Instagram and Facebook, and I had lots of private messages asking me to share what I planned to make. So I decided to write this blog post to share my process. If you have not found me on Instagram  just click here. I share much more now over there as it is so much quicker that writing blog posts. I also wanted to write this blog post as  a reminder post for myself.

This is what I did.

I needed a swampy background so out came my distress oxide and stain sprays. I sprayed and layered the inks and made 2 A4 sheets. I cut them into 20 pieces. Eventually I cut these down to 2 1/4 X 3 1/4" cards.

I love using oxides and stains together, they give such a cool mix.
Here are the 2 sheets all cut up and ready to stamp.
I stamped each image twice and clear embossed them. 

I added a little extra colouring with my zig pens and some white pencil for finishing touches.

I used candied apple distress ink on their edges. 
I made a simple box with a lid, using my scoring board. I stamped the Stegosaurus  (one of Jack's favourite dinosaurs) on the lid and coloured him.
My Hb helped me to print some card backs. I stuck them on to make the cards nice and rigid and finished the edges with candied apple ink. 
Below is the finished box with the cards inside.

These are a couple of my favourite pairs.


and this is what they will look like when playing the game.

I would like to enter my cards into the following challenges;

Stamping sensations 1/3 Colour my world
Creative moments anything goes

I put them in the post to Jack, with all my love. He received them yesterday and my daughter told me he was so thrilled and has already played some games with Daisy. I am so glad he likes playing with them as much as I enjoyed making them.

I hope you are all keeping well? We have had some glorious sunshine in the week. I went up to visit my sweet dinos at the park.




But in true British style today it is trying to snow!

Take care and stay safe.

Bye for now,

Jane x

6 comments:

  1. Awe I think they are wonderful and such a clever idea ... so exciting for little Jack to get them in the post too. :)
    No snow here thankfully but my goodness its cold!
    Happy new week my dear,
    V x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your post, Jane. What a fabulous surprise for Jack!
    No snow here yet, but it's been really cold here today. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea and they look good. I might copy that idea as been looking for something else to do with all the dinosaur dies I have for the GGSon. Thanks for sharing with us at Stamping Sensations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oxide sprays are my current favourite, so versatile and what a super gift for Jack, great entry for our new theme at Stamping Sensations, many thanks for joining in.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous gift! I'm not surprised that your grandson loved them so much, they look amazing and I bet it's great fun to play 😁. Lovely to see your photos too, that's such a pretty view over the water. We've had some snow flurries here today too. Happy and creative wishes! Hugs, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucky Jack! The pair game looks amazing. I made one my for grandsons at Halloween so I know the amount of work that has gone in to this Jane. Well done. The backgrounds looks gorgeous and perfectly suited to dinos! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Stamping Sensations this month.
    Pinky

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; I really enjoy reading every single one of them.

To comply with the new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) May 2018 I wish to state that any comments left here are with your consent that your name & comment are visible to anyone who visits my blog and that you accept that your personal information is being used for that specific purpose.

Jane x