Thursday 21 June 2012

The Idyllic Ionian Sea

Hello everyone, I'm back after my wonderful holiday. Thanks to those of you who played along with guessing my destination. I had fun reading your guesses. People got very warm with the suggestions of various Greek Islands...it was none other that Kephalonia. We left Gatwick last week in the middle of the torrential rain in the UK and landed at Kephalonia to a temperature of 34c in the shade. It was such bliss to see clear blue skies and the Idyllic Ionian Sea. The colours of this sea are just exquisite;  so many wonderful shades of blue and turquoise.
Mirtos Beach
Agia Efimia

View from our hotel.

 Our hotel was just across the road from the sea and every morning we walked down this path to the dining room and sat gazing out across the Idyllic Ionian sea. It really was the best start to every day. The sun shone from dawn to dusk and the sky was the most exquisite azure.

I am not usually a Beach Girl but I make exceptions when beaches are this good. My top photo above  is Mirtos Beach. We drove past this on our way up to the North of the Island and I took the shot from the side of the winding mountain road. I'm not great with heights so I hung on to my Hb whilst I took the photo... the things a girl does to get a good photo ;0)




On the right is Skala beach where we were staying. It is a shingle beach but sandy once you get out in the water.

We hired a car and during our travels we came across more gorgeous sandy beaches...








Above is Kaminia Beach which was our favourite. This was a pure sandy beach and is one of the beaches where the Loggerhead Turtles come up on and lay their eggs (more about turtles in my next post). This beach had such a gentle incline that you could walk out for a long way and still only be knee deep in warm blue seawater. There were also some sweet shells to be found if you looked hard. I am such a little girl at heart and I still get such a thrill searching for shells.





I didn't realise my Hb had sneaked up and taken this shot. I was miles away in shell heaven. I am one of those people who can never really laze on a beach I need to be occupied...













..even if that means reading a good book or two ;0)
















or investigating what was lying amongst  the rocks.














and this was the beach right opposite our hotel. So many gorgeous shades of blue, it's not surprising really that blue is my favourite colour.










I think this photo sums up just how relaxing our holiday was. My husband is sitting on "his" rock, allowing the sea to sooth and the sun to warm him. We really did need our break away and we have come back with our batteries recharged ready and looking forward to all the excitement of next month. If you will indulge me I have 2 more holiday posts planned, one on the turtles and one on Fiscardo, the only part of Kephalonia which survived the 1953 earthquake. I shall share some more photos in the coming days.


Meanwhile all these wonderful shades of blue inspired my card for today and I also wanted to use my sweet little shells that I had found on Kaminia Beach.
I also love the concept and image of a mermaid so I decided to combine these 3 elements for my card. Here she is,


She is a gorgeous digital stamp by Sylvia Zet called Goldie and I have coloured her with my Promarker pens and highlighted with my Prismacolor pencils.




I used some Dimensional Magic to add depth to the bubbles and make them seem real. The paper are from Nitwits and yes, you may have spotted that 2 of the sweet shells I found on Kaminia Beach have also made an appearance.










I LOVE this stamp and I can see me using her lots over the summer. I would like to enter my card into the following challenges;

Totally Gorjuss #136 holiday
Make it Monday Linky party #94
The House that stamps built Head for the beach
The Paper Shelter The great outdoors
Scrapalicious USA Summertime
Ladybug Crafts Ink Double Trouble my "double" are 2 of my very precious sea shells.
4 Crafty Chicks By the sea
Charizma Card Challenges Summer
Cute Card Thursday Here comes summer #222
The early rain we had here has passed over now and it looks like the sun is peeping through again. I go back to work tomorrow for the first time since our holiday...and it's Friday so it is a really short week for me. Thank you for all your visits and a big hello to my recent new followers, you are all so welcome. I love to read the comments that you take the time to leave me. I am glad you all liked the bridesmaids sneak peek I shared with you in my last post. It is now only 5 weeks (gulp) until Milly and Tom's Big Day. She has her 2nd dress fitting this Saturday so we should see the dress in all it's glory. I can't wait. Enjoy the weekend when we get there and I will be back soon. 

Bye for now,

Jane x




62 comments:

  1. Oh I am so so envious of you, Kephalonia is number 1 on my list of places I would love to go. Plus it's the setting of my favourite film, captain corellis mandolin.
    Gorgeous photos!
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is indeed Victoria, it was filmed in Sami. Funnily enough I have never seen the film nor read the book!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow im so green with envy!! what stunning photographs and a stunning litle card too. Im on the last week of my holidays and went nowhere last week, and steve has had flu all this week, so what have I been doing, looking after him, arghhh cant get away from nusing!!! wish I had been there it looks so beautiful xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor you June...a busman's holiday there!! Glad you enjoyed the photos, it is a very beautiful island.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  5. aaahhhh, I've never been there, but have been to other islands...gonna add that to my list, it looks lush!!
    Thanks for entering my giveaway too
    fee x

    ReplyDelete
  6. It really is such a lush island Fee, they get a lot of rain in the winter months so it is quite green for a Greek Island. I miss it already.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great take on our challenge this week Jane. Love how you've added some shells from your holiday. Thanks for joining us at TG this week.

    Loved the photos of your holiday, looks like you had a fantastic time in a beautiful place. Thanks for sharing your photos.

    Kat x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Kat, I really had such a lovely time and the sweet shells were such fun to find. They are a perfect size for my cards.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah Jane what a glorious place, it looks absolutely gorgeous. :) So glad you had a lovely relaxing time as it's going to get a bit manic in the next few weeks for you! As you say you've got your batteries recharged and you'll be ready for it all.
    Love the little mermaid. :)
    Have great weekend,
    Vivienne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's as good as it looks Vivienne and we are fully recharged and raring to go!
      Jane x

      Delete
  10. Adorable card Jane and I love the colors! Your photos are absolutely gorgeous! Looks like a fabulous destination!!! Thanks so much for stopping by!
    Hugs, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very interesting post .Love your holiday snaps ..great memories captured there-in .Is there a scrapbook coming up?
    Love your card with sweet image and coordinating embellishing .
    Thanks for sharing on Make it Monday

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to scrapbook Shirley-ann but just have not had the time in recent years. Thanks for your kind comments and for visiting.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Jane, that place you went is a dream! Love the water and colors and shells and everything! I'm so glad you got to do this and get ready for all the whirlwind of the wedding. LOVE the card with the shells and pearls! Awesome! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Jane, you seems to have had the best holidays! Your photos are fantastic and you were luckier than me with the shells! Even I live next to these beaches, still I'm wishing to have one week in a hotel next to the sandy beach, without going anywhere from there the whole week! Could I stay without doing anything? guess not!
    Your card is also adorable with the marmeid, shells and I see there even fabrics with stitching!
    Happy weekend! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an adorable card ! Sensible choice of colours. Beautiful papers. Bravo !

    Thanks for joining us at Charisma Cardz this week.

    Hugs from France.
    Catherine.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Jane, it looks absolutely beautiful, I'm quite envious. Love the card, great image and layout.
    Hugs
    Caz x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Welcome home GF!!! Your holiday looks wonderful and looking at your pictures cheers me up on this dreary wet Scottish morning! The color of the water is stunning {sigh} I love how you incorporated your holiday into your card...I love looking for shells on the beach too...the ribbon and pp all blend beautifully with the shells. It won't be long till your big day...from my recent experience the last few weeks fly in! The bridesmaids jewellery is stunning and I love the fact the dresses aren't one solid color...I can't wait to see the whole dress as well as Milly's and YOURS!!! Thanks for joining in our Double Trouble challenge at LCI this fortnight xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Teresa it really was a dream place and yes the countdown really starts now!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Teje, you are like me..I can never just sit, I do need something to do even in such an idyllic location.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bonjour Catherine, lovely to see you here.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Kaz, do go if you ever get the chance; it's a very beautiful Greek Island,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yo Kerry, glad to see you back after your epic time. The holiday was perfect and we are now ready to get caught up in all the last minute frenzy. It's SO exciting. Glad my photos cheered up your morning, what has happened to our summer this year?
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my goodness your pictures are awesome! Makes me want to go somewhere glorious... :) Love your shells on your adorable card. Fabulous colors, image and coloring. Thanks for sharing it with us at 4 Crafty Chicks.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks Tamie, it was glorious there! I am having fun using my little shells on my cards.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Jane, I live in tropical north of Australia, so close to sandy beaches that you take them for granted.

    The photos you have shared have me GREEN with envy, that is one very beautiful part of the world. Nice to read that you had a fabulously relaxing break away.

    Your card is gorgeous.

    Saw your link on MIM. I'm #76 and #215 this week. I'd love it if you stopped by.

    Cheers,
    Kasey ~ in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Kasey the colours out there were just breathtaking. I shall pop over to see you,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fabulous holiday photos and fantastic card! Thank you for entering it in the DCC at The House That Stamps Built.

    ReplyDelete
  28. YOur card is beautiful, I love the shells on it and your holiday pictures are amazing!
    Thanks for joining the Ladybugs at LCI this week for our Double Trouble and good luck with the challenge
    Hugs Laurie x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for your kind comments and for popping in here Laurie, have a great weekend,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful pictures, Jane and I'm glad you both had a lovely relaxing time on your sunny holiday. I am like you and like to beach comb as soon as I'm on a beach anywhere :) You found some beautiful shells there. Hope the plans for the wedding go well as it gets nearer and nearer...Enjoy your weekend.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Good to see you back too Helen. The second dress fitting was great....the dress is looking so good.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Lovely, lovely pictures, Jane! Seems that you had wonderful time, and the weather was perfect for your wedding-tam ;) am I right?

    Have a wonderful last days of June, happy (yet busy I'm sure) wedding-preparations and kisses to Billy! And there's an award for you in my blog too!

    Yours,
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  33. Gosh, Jane! I have never heard of Kephanlonia and now I feel it may be one of my "must do's" in life! What wonderful photos of your restful holiday..I love that you are such a little girl at heart and that hubby took that sweet shot of you. And for you to do the same of him on his rock. Wonderful!! I can't wait to see the further posts of your holiday..it's wonderful to enjoy vicariously through visiting you! Hope you are well and I will be back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  34. The weather was so perfect Mia and I just loved the warmth of the sun on my skin. Thank you my dear for my Sunshine award, that is so sweet to think of me. The days are racing by now.......
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  35. The Greek Islands are a must see Shirley, the sky and sea colours there are to die for. I shall be back soon with my 2nd holiday post.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hello Jane...Oh my, I think you have been to paradise...such beautiful photographs!..The shades of blue are just so pretty...and I need to be sitting under that umbrella with a good book right now...true bliss!
    Not long until the big day now Jane...how exciting to finally see the dress in all its glory!
    Love your little mermaid...
    Hope you have a happy week,
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  37. It certainly was paradise Susan and I am even cheering myself up looking at the photos as this weather is dreadful, it's blowing a gale here today! I wish I was back on my beach too. Have a lovely week,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi Jane, What a lovely time you all had. The water is just amazing and so beautiful. What a great place to explore and relax in. So happy you had a fabulous time now on with the event of the summer!! : )
    Thanks for your kind words on my blog, xoRobin❤

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks for sharing your gorgeous vacation with us. Your card looks lovely!
    Hugs and smiles

    ReplyDelete
  40. It's all systems go now Robin..only 34 days to go! Take care,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thanks Beate glad you enjoyed them,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  42. I am a bit (okay a LOT) envious of your beautiful vacation! Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful photos with us. Your card is adorable. I love the bubbles! What a great idea to make them shine :) Thanks for joining in our challenge at The House that Stamps Built!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hi Patti glad you enjoyed your visit here. I had fun with the bubbles on my card I think I will use that technique again.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  44. The mermaid is perfect for this post. I love the bubbles. Gorgeous photos! It's hard to imagine so much blue in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I know Linda, who can possible just say "blue?" there are just so many shades of this glorious colour. I'm glad you liked my mermaid I think she is such a sweet stamp.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  46. Super sweet card and amzing photos - you could just dive straight in :o)
    Thanks for playing along with us at Charisma this week.
    Good luck.
    Debs xx

    ReplyDelete
  47. Thanks Debs, I really feel like diving in again too ;0)
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  48. Oh, my what a beautiful place! Your card is wonderful and didn't you do a fabulous job on that bubble? Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  49. The Greek Islands are glorious Lori, I'm glad you liked the bubble too!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  50. Thank you Jane for wonderful views of Kephalonia. I loved the "Captain Corelli" movie and book.
    I'm so glad you and Mr. T could have a seaside break!
    Lovely shells and card....I like this new mermaid image.

    Anne x
    PlumCreek
    Etsy

    ReplyDelete
  51. Gorgeous photos and such a cute card! Thanks for joining us at 4 Crafty Chicks this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  52. We had such a lovely time there Anne. Glad you like my sweet little Goldie...she is such a cute image. Have a great week,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  53. Thanks for visiting Lori,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  54. Oh my Mum has also just got back from Kephalonia, she goes every year to the same place (also on Skala beach, I believe) with all her Sisters. She always makes it sound so lovely and now I've seen your photos I understand why! All those, blue skies and sandy beaches.....we're off to Yorkshire for our hols, not quite the same, maybe we'll make it on a beach holiday next year. Bethx how many weeks to go now....?!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Oh how funny Beth, perhaps we would have walked past them! Skala is an ideal place to stay..the whole island is very beautiful. 4 weeks to go on Saturday ;0)
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  56. It's easy to see where the inspiration for your sweet card came from Jane! Thank you so much for joining the Ladybug Challenge this time, be sure to join us again tomorrow for a New Release Blog Hop, Hope to see you there,Julie.x

    ReplyDelete
  57. How could I not be inspire Julie with those colours :-) I am looking forward to the LCI hop i already have the promo in my side bar! See you there
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; I really enjoy reading every single one of them.

To comply with the new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) May 2018 I wish to state that any comments left here are with your consent that your name & comment are visible to anyone who visits my blog and that you accept that your personal information is being used for that specific purpose.

Jane x