Tuesday 26 June 2012

Turtle Watching in Argostoli Harbour


I am back with my 2nd holiday post from our recent trip to Kephalonia. Thanks for all your lovely comments from my first post and yes it really was Paradise out there.
We hired a car after a couple of days to visit some other parts of this beautiful island. These photos are from our trip to the capital of the island, Argostoli. It was a really steaming day and temperature in the shade nudged up to 39c so we had to duck in and out of the sun and hats were obligatory. We knew that the Loggerhead Turtles live in the waters around  Kephonia and that there is also a family of 8 turtles who live in and around the harbour at Argostoli. Unless you want to stay up all night you would not catch a glimpse of these creatures on the beach as they only come onto the beaches in the middle of the night to lay their eggs during the nesting season. The group that live around the harbour though are often sighted and we kept our fingers crossed that we might see them on the day of our visit.

This is the harbour wall and further round we found the fishermen selling their mornings catches.




Some people ask for their fish to be gutted and the men oblige and then throw the remains into the harbour. The turtles love to come and eat this and we waited for about 10 minutes with no sighting. Then, just as we were about to leave we saw this wonderful sight.












Around the boat came this graceful beauty. She made us gasp as they seem to "fly" in the water.





























Then a second smaller turtle appeared, we think they were mother and baby. The Mum was enormous, at least 3 feet across and the baby was about half of her size.







Soon after this off they "flew" again, it was a wonderful sight to see these creatures completely free in the wild. We had a lovely afternoon in Argostoli and had a relaxing drink over looking the harbour before we headed back to our hotel. We got back in time to have a swim in our pool in the late afternoon when no one else was around...perfect.
and after showering and changing we headed out for a wonderful meal up on the beach road towards Poros.
Mousakka , fish pie and of course a glass or two of ice cold Mythos...sheer bliss.
The restaurant  (Called Old Times) had a wonderful poem printed onto the table clothes which read

Welcome to our Place.
You are the source of our strength and inspiration of our new tasty creations.
You can enjoy the spectacular view of the moon and of the Ionian Sea from our balcony
And have the opportunity to relax and travel back to "Old Times".
We hope that it will not be just a typical meal but a memorable experience for you 
To take back Home.


How good is that and yes the view was spectacular and the food memorable!

From our table we were able to gaze out across the idyllic Ionian sea as the sun set.

To remember our fantastic day seeing the turtles I manged to find the perfect new charm for my holiday charm bracelet.






Isn't he cute and he will be added to all my other holiday memory charms that are on my bracelet.







Today's challenge card is another mermaid related card as I just love my new Sylvia Zet digital stamp. Here she is
This time I have coloured her hair blonde using my Promarker pens. Do you prefer the dark mermaid in my last post or this one? As always I have used my Prismacolor pencils to highlight my image. I have also made the bubble more realistic using Dimensional Magic again


I also added some more of my sweet shells I collected from the beach at Kaminia. I have also added some sea related card charms as well as some hand cut bunting, finished off with Baker's Twine.

I would like to enter my card into the following challenges;
Cupcake Inspirations Beach scene cupcake photo inspiration #166
Joanna Sheen Summer Daze
2 sisters Anything goes #97
Make it Monday Linky Party #95
Creative Mondays  fairies and mermaids #10
Bearly-Mine #41 anything goes
Party Time Tuesdays anything goes #74
Sassy Cheryl's Challenge blog Summer #121








There is one last bit of sunshine I would like share in my post and that is the very kind award that my dear friend Mia has awarded me. Thank you my dear, you always bring me some sunshine.

                                                 
I am supposed to pass this onto 10 other blogs but would struggle to choose as I think everyone deserves it -so please take it if your would like to. I also think that lots of people have this one and some people really don't have the time to participate. One person though I KNOW absolutely loves to receive awards is my artist blogging friend Linda out in the USA. So I will nomimate her by name...here's to you Linda! There are 10  questions I have to answer so here goes.
1.Favourite animal. I am sure everyone knows that...cat and my Billy features on here lots. My other favourites though are pigs...I love those critters.
2. Favourite number. Hmm that's a funny question as I really don't have one at all but I like the shape of a number 8 if that helps!
3. Favourite non alcoholic drink; Tea, I drink far too much.
4. Facebook or Twitter; Facebook as I really cannot get my head around why anyone needs to Tweet!
5.My passion; My family......I would never be who I am without them.
6. Getting or giving; easy..giving... as everyone knows how much I adore Christmas and my biggest pleasure is chosing and wrapping gifts. Sheer magic.
7. Favourite pattern; Anything really but I do like florals and anything inspired by the 1920s.
8. Favourite day of the week; Friday....once I have finished work I have the weekend to look forward to.
9.Favourite flower; daffodil. I love the colour, shape and the promise of spring they hold.
10. Favourite country; England.....I never get bored of living here and being so near to London is really special

The sunshine has decided to start making an appearance this week and we are promised 24c by Thursday so I am looking forward to that too. This morning is my last silversmithing class for the year...how quickly that has gone? Summer will certainly be in full swing then! Have a great week everyone and I hope there is a little sunshine for you too in your little spot of Blogland. And for those of you who are counting down with me.....32 days to go....;0)

Back soon,

Bye for now,

Jane x

40 comments:

  1. Sweet Jane, I love the turtles! My husband and I once saw a turtle while snorkeling in Turks and Caico's. It is really a breathtaking sight! Perfect charm for your keepsake holiday bracelet. Love your card, did you see any mermaids on your holiday? Now that would be breathtaking!!!!
    xoRobin❤

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a complete privilege to see those wonderful creatures in the wild, you were so lucky, I know that alone would have made my holiday!!
    What a sweet charm too to add to your memories. That bracelet is getting quite full, isn't it!! :)
    Both you mermaid cards are lovely but I think this is my favourite because I love bunting. :)
    Lucky you with 24 deg on Thursday, I think we're promised torrential rain!!! :(
    Vivienne x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes Robin wouldn't it be fantastic to see a real live mermaid ;-)
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a wonderful sight Vivienne we did feel so privileged- they were so graceful. Plenty more room on that bracelet I keep telling my Hb ;-) I do hope you get some of this sunshine it's lovely here today.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woo hoo! A prize on turtle week, when I just absolutely love turtles. Thanks Jane! I needed some sunshine this week :) You're a lucky girl to have seen them swimming free around your boat. I love your new charm, and that eye charm is intriguing. Your mermaid looks cute in both versions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely pictures, this is such a cute card, thanks for sharing at supcake inspirations

    Tina
    sweetie dt

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're welcome Linda. The eye charm on my bracelet is from Rhodes, it's the lucky symbol in Greece and there are "Eyes" everywhere! Have a sunny week,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for popping by Tina,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Jane

    I had no idea you had been away as well, I am so very slow catching since we came home.

    Awesome pictures and sounds like you had a great time.

    And how amazing that we also visited Kephalonia, just the one day and came in by tender to the little landing down the bottom of the incline. It certainly is very pretty there, as is Santorini and Mykanos.

    I thought about you are we left St Pancras - goodness it was a month ago now - when I looked at the big bronze, I don't do flying if I can get there by train so we went to Barcelona on the sleeper train.

    Will catch up with you again soon.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Brenda the Greek Islands are just gorgeous aren't they. We have visited Santorini but not Mykanos. What fun that you thought of me when you saw the bronze at St Pancras, it is such a memorable statue isn't it. Glad you had a great holiday too,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jane, thank you for your lovely comment on my blog:)) Your card is wonderful, I prefer Goldie with blond hair for some reason and I love the shells addition and dimensional bubble:) Beautiful photos from your holiday! It must be amazing to see the turtles swimming around. I have visited fabulous Santorini years ago and I would love to come back to see other Greek's islands.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How lovely to have you here Sylvia, the actual artist of my stamp! Your stamps are so gorgeous and I love little Goldie, I think I too like the blonde hair. Santorini is stunning, the view into the caldera is magic isnt it. Thanks for liking my card and for taking the time to leave a comment.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  13. thank you jane for your lovely and sweet comment on my card.
    your card is also beautiful.
    fabulous design.

    greetings karin

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Karin,lovely to see you here and thanks for your kind comments,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad you were able to see the turtles, Jane, how special that was! Lovely pictures and you captured the atmosphere of your sunny holiday so well. And you found the perfect charm for your bracelet! Love the little mermaid card as well.
    Have a lovely week.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  16. It was magic to see them Helen. We really did have a terrific holiday and the turtles were such a bonus. I have put my turtle on my charm bracelet and every time I look at him I smile at the memories.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous photos!!!! And your card is delightful...she's such a darling mermaid! Thank you so much for linking up at Cupcake Inspirations! Good luck!
    Rene :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Jane,
    Wow! I had no idea there were turtles in Greece :-D Gorgeous photographs. Thank you so much for sharing. Avis x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing isn't it in Avis . Thanks for visiting.
      Jane x

      Delete
  19. Thanks Rene....she is such a sweet mermaid isn't she.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow. . . .the photos are AMAZING. WOW, WOW, WOW! And the card is totally perfect for your vacation. What a perfectly adorable image and I love all the little accents with the shells, boat and starfish. And the papers are great and I love the stitching.
    LOVE IT!
    Thanks for playing along in the Sassy Cheryl's SUMMER fun challenge this week!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are so kind with your comments....yours is a new challenge for me. Good to have found you.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Jane, ohhhh what a wonderful place to visit! And to see a sea turtle in it's natural habitat must have been a wonderful and memorable experience! Your bracelet is getting full and jingly, I bet. I like the blond mermaid.. she's so cute. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. It was a very breathtaking moment when they swam into view Teresa they are so silent and graceful unlike my jingling bracelet ;-)
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Jane! I'm so happy you met turtles! They are amazing! Your bracelet is wonderful - full of memories from every trip! Light hair mermaid is sweet! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have so many happy memories from our holiday Teje.. I am such a lucky girl and I even have some sunshine here at home.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  26. hi jane
    what fab pics ...makes me wish i ewas there
    i love your card,the stamp is adorable and you have coloured her beautifully
    thanks for joining us at MIM and good luck
    tracey x
    Remember, to be in the running to win the prize from our sponsor this week just leave a comment for another entry. Be sure to mention you saw them on Make It Monday. The more entries you comment on the more chances you have of winning!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for stopping by and I have been visiting some of the other lovely cards on MIM.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh I just want to dive into that beautiful sea for a swim. Love the charm bracelet, what a great idea and the turtle addition is fab. Bethx

    ReplyDelete
  29. I know Beth, that sea is the most beautiful I have seen. My turtle charm is a great memory from a great holdiday, good to see you here. Enjoy the summer,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh, how wonderful to get to see the turtles! Your image is just as sweet as a blond and I really enjoyed reading about you!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Weren't we lucky Lori! Lovely to see you here and thanks for your sweet comments.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  32. Dear Jane,

    I cannot believe I have missed more than one posts of you, I read this one earlier but couldn't leave a comment at the time (I've had issues with blogger ;) lately, error is my friend), and now there are more! I love turtles, I have seen them swimming exactly like that in Tenerife, and they're just the sweetest things. And your turtle-charm is just perfect to remember this holiday. And your mermaid cards are the sweetest, love the bubbles!

    Have a great weekend!

    Yours,
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm so glad you have seen Turtles in the wild too Mia, they are indeed the sweetest creatures. Good to see you here any time! Happy Friday!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  34. Fab card. Wow gorgeous hols, I am soooo jealous right now! Lol
    . Thanks for joining us at Joanna Sheen Challenge
    Hugs
    Kat xx

    ReplyDelete
  35. It was a brilliant holiday Kathleen and such a bonus to see the sunshine and clear blue skies from dawn to dusk every day,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Jane! What a fabulous post! I loved reading about the turtles...and oh, those photos are stunning!!! Thank you for sharing those! Your card is precious! Such pretty coloring...and I love all the sea embellies! Thanks so much for joining us this week at Sassy Cheryl's! Hugs. Pat Frank

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi Pat the turtles were a wonderful sight. Thanks for your visit here please come again. Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh, I am swooning! Beautiful photos..and what looks to be such a delicious meal!! I'm so happy you had such a good time on vacation. And those sea turtles..amazing! Love your jewelry as every item is so so very special. Always so great to see your posts and congrats on the award!! So well deserved, Jane!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. It was such a wonderful holiday Shirley and the turtles were the icing on the cake. Thanks for all your sweet comments, you are so kind,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; I really enjoy reading every single one of them.

To comply with the new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) May 2018 I wish to state that any comments left here are with your consent that your name & comment are visible to anyone who visits my blog and that you accept that your personal information is being used for that specific purpose.

Jane x