Tuesday 5 June 2012

Long may she reign..a diamond of a celebration

In true British style the Diamond Jubilee celebrations were just fabulous and the Queen shone all the way through. I have just watched the service at St.Paul's on TV and along with millions of others celebrated 60 years of her total service to our country. We have put the Great back into Great Britain as the eyes of the world watched us.

My Hb and I had tickets to the Diamond Jubilee Festival in Battersea Park on Sunday and we had such a wonderful despite the weather.
We were able to see the specially commissioned Royal Barge before the Royal Party arrived.


The decoration was wonderful with carved gilded fish and insignia.

































This boat carried the amazing orchestra and the poor choir who were seen on TV later soaked to the skin singing Land of Hope and Glory!


We decided not to stand at the rails for 3 hours waiting for the pageant but to enjoy the festival and watch the actual boat pageant on the big screens in the park. We had such a great day out and the atmosphere all day long was of sheer joy. Everyone was smiling and happy to be there and seemed genuinely wanting to celebrate this once in a life time occasion.






The crowds everywhere were waving Union flags.Their enthusiasm was never damped by the weather which sadly deteriorated as the day wore on.

We were lucky that the rain did not arrive until much later in the afternoon so we were able to wander around the festival in the dry. I was amazed to find none other than Cath Kidston on tour in their amazing tour bus.































How cool is that! It is an old mobile library van which has had a CK makeover and is touring the UK during the summer. They even have a CK limited edition touring badge for each location and of course I just had to buy the diamond jubilee badge.





I LOVE this badge, it is so ME and I wore it with pride with my 1952 badges which I showed you on my last post. I wonder if any of my ancestors may one day wear it to a Diamond Jubilee celebration?

We stayed until the pageant had passed Battersea Park and then as the rain came down in torrents we were able to be home again in time to see the last hour on TV. It was such an extraordinary day.
On Saturday evening there was the Diamond Jubilee Concert held outside Buckingham Palace which again was tremendous. I so enjoyed watching it at home. So many famous performers sang their hearts out and the sun even shone. Today I have enjoyed the final celebrations, watching the ceremony at St.Paul's, the carriage procession and the final balcony appearance and the fly by. What an amazing long weekend we Brits have enjoyed.
I have decided to create another card to celebrate this great year.
This image is another new one for me, it's a Mo Manning digi stamp. He was a generous freebie given out by her a month or so ago.
I used my trusty Promarkers to colour the image and then added some British touches including backing papers and red, white and blue bunting. I used my prize from Ladybug crafts ink for stamping the numbers on the bunting (thanks Kerry x)
I also used my new LOTV tags stamps, these are great fun. I finished off with some red and blue gems and some Baker's twine.

I would like to enter my card into the following challenges;
Sundays with Crissy Tags and Tickets #30
Joanna Sheen Remember when
Crafter's Companion Time to embellish #25
Crafting for all season's many layers #28
Papertake Weekly anything goes
Party Time Tuesdays Royalty/Sparkle #71
Ladybugs crafts ink Big birthday my entry is really a bit tongue in cheek as I think 2012 could be the biggest birthday ever-LOL!!




It is now eyes down for the next 2 big events for me ...THE Wedding (53 days and counting) and in 52 days the Opening Ceremony for the 2012 Olympic games. Remember that I will be draw the winner of my giveaway at 4pm this Friday (8th June) if you would like to enter you will find the details  here.




I am off to eat my piece of Diamond Jubilee cake that Matt's girlfriend brought round, yum.

Enjoy the very end of the Jubilee bank holiday everyone here in the UK and to everyone else, hey it's nearly Wednesday ;0)

Back soon,

Bye for now,

Jane x

40 comments:

  1. Hello lovely...it's great to be back...I feel like I've been away forever! Little do you know I know EXACTLY what you'll be going through in 53 days lol though thankfully you won't have to travel to another country for your wonderful wedding. Your pics of the DJ look fabulous...I love that you do so many great things (thinking back to your calligraphy course) and show us what you've been up to. We have a CK (I thought you meant Calvin Klein doh) store in Glasgow and although it's not my style I LOVE going in and looking at everything...it's all so girly which I'm definitely not lol.

    Your DJ card is perfect from the image to the pp to the bunting! Imagine having red white and blue twine!!

    The cake looks yummy but I'm afraid I'm off cake again. We brought back 1/2 of the wedding cake and proceeded to eat the whole thing...not just me of course lol!!!

    Thanks for joining in our BIG birthday challenge at LCI this fortnight xxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya Matey, great to see you back. I am sure you will have lots of tips for me about the big day ahead. Glad the wedding went so well and you are now a MIL!! Keep munching through the cake... Speak soon,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely comment about the queen and lovely pics,i have taken alot of pics 2 :),just wanted to say love the card you made love the image,and the layout,realy nice love from craft-mad-manning

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for visiting Bren and leaving a kind comment. It was a great Diamond Jubilee wasn't it.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where did that long weekend go to!!
    Wasn't it just great though, the Queen is absolutely marvelous although I did feel a bit for her today not having Prince Philip by her side.
    The Royal Barge was amazing! The whole celebration was great and I didn't miss a minute of it. You were lucky to be a part of it, I would have loved to have been there!I have a real urge to visit London again.
    Another patriotic card Jane.:)
    V xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Jane for the lovely post! So wonderful to see the celebration and the Queen. She sure looks beautiful! The barge was so ornate and a pretty sight. Too bad about the weather but the festivities didn't suffer! Love the button, I would wear it with proud, just like you.
    Two more celebrations to go for you : )
    Take care, xoRobin❤

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jane! Thank you for sharing the fantastic celebration with us! Congratulations to your wonderful country! I would love to spend longer time in England! x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  8. wonderful patriotic layers and an absolutely gorgeous elephant!

    Thank you so much for sharing your fabulous project with us at Crafting For All Seasons.

    xoxoxo Carly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous awesome pictures glad you have had such a brilliant time! and LOVE the cake and I HAVE a Peter Rabbit plate like that! thehehee... Its 40 Years old! tehhehee :0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds like you had a wonderful time despite the rain, and now you get to anticipate the other big events in your life, especially the wedding. I'll look forward to seeing the pics for that too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Vivienne, it did all go by so quickly but it was such an memorable time. I'm glad to hear that Prince Phillip is improving, they stood for SO long on the barge. Do come over to London soon, we could catch up with a cup of tea ;0)
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Robin, a great time was had by all and as you say 2 more fab celebrations ahead for me!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Teje, thanks for all you good wishes.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Carly, thanks for visiting me here,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Samantha we did have such a great time. The cake was delicious and yes that is an old Bunnykins plate ;0)
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think us Brits never let the weather get in the way Linda, but it was such a dreadful late pm on Sunday, we were glad we got home before the worst of it. I can't wait to share The Wedding with you, there is another sneak peek coming up really soon ;0)
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing your photos with us--very cool! As Canadians we've had Jubilee celebrations here too but nothing on the grand scale that you've had, I'm sure. I can remember Queen Elizabeth's Silver Jubilee--they gave out commemorative coins out that year at school, I was in grade 3 I think and I still have my coin!! Thanks too for sharing your awesome card with us here at Sundays With Crissy!! It's truly a work of art!! I especially love the background paper and your colouring is awesome!! Such a cute image too!
    Hugs,
    Sarah ☺

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow ! These are amazing photos! What a privilege to be part of it all... Thanks for sharing your experience with us, Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great to hear that you have been also celebrating the Jubilee out in Canada Sarah. Thanks for you kind comments about my card.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's my pleasure Ruth, thanks for visiting,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  21. OOOh what a lovely cheer up post, and the piccies are fabulosu too for us that couldnt be there, brilliant the barge is stunning isnt it! Im so pleased you enjoyed yourself hunnie, what a great thing to be part of, the cake looks gorgeous, and I must admit I ADORE cath kitson just love the stuff, take care and thanks hun huggies Jun exxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm glad you enjoyed seeing my photos June. The atmosphere in London was wonderful. Glad to here you are a CK fan :-)
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  23. All that jubileeing ;) looks fantastic, Jane, and I wish I could have been there to see it all. We saw quite a bit in telly here fortunately (the big concert and such) and everyone seemed to be in such great mood, maybe it was the extra-long weekend also :)?

    It'll be busy yet fantastic summer to you, and oh my, only 50something until the W!!! I wish the weather will be celebrating with you all, I would send you sunshine if I did have any... *sigh*

    Have a wonderful June days, Jane, and kiss B* for me again!

    Yours,
    Mia

    *B can be Billy or Bear, just choose the one you see first!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Mia I think the whole country was uplifted by all the celebrations. It really is the count down now for us. I hope the weather improves here too it has been dreadful. So much rain and yet we still have a hosepipe Ban! We saw Bear on Monday...he is growing so fast. Billy is sitting next to me as I type this..he sends purrs and kisses.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such awesome photos, looks like a great time! Your card is gorgeous, thanks so much for joining us at Party Time Tuesdays!

    ~Melissa, PTT DT

    ReplyDelete
  26. It was such a party atmosphere Melissa,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a delightful post, Jane! Your blog is always the most cheerful place to visit and I do look forward to reading about your adventures and seeing what you've created each week. I think this little elephant card might be a new favorite! So much excitement in your neighborhood these days, we are all tuned in and cheering with you!
    P.S.
    What fun to discover CK at the party- and those little inflatable corgis did catch my eye! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wasnt it great hun, ooh i loved the jubilee, all those excuses to get drunk,heehee, Well i just love ur card, its so cute and he looks so loveable, thanks for sharing ur fab pics too, they are brill..
    Huge Hugz
    Kenzie xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm so glad you enjoy your visits Michele. We did have such a great long weekend and the celebrations cheered up this awful weather we are having at the moment. You can imagine my glee finding the CK tour bus there ;0)
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Kenzie, I think the whole of the UK were in party mood...I loved it :0)Thanks for popping by,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Jane,
    I thought of your family while I watched the celebrations. I'm glad you could be in Battersea Park before the weather was too bad.

    Thanks for sharing part of this grand weekend!!

    Love the CK mobile display.

    Happy weekend,
    Anne
    PlumCreek22
    etsy

    ReplyDelete
  32. Despite the weather it was such a memorable weekend Anne. I was so surprised to see CK there!
    Thanks for visiting,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  33. A lovely post to read Jane and I love your photos! The CK van is fab!!

    A great card with fab papers and embellishments.
    Thanks for playing along with us at Papertake Weekly this week and good luck!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is great thanks for joining us at CFAS & Joanna Sheens xx Jan

    ReplyDelete
  35. I loved the CK van Katina, especially the Corgi balloons! Thanks for visiting me here,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a wonderful post Jane! Your card is gorgeous - and perfect for celebrating such a glorious occasion! i lived in England for nearly 6 years and was there for the Golden Jubilee - it was wonderful! We still celebrate it here in Australia - but the coverage from the UK was FAB! So glad you joined our Sundays with Crissy Challenge this month! Hugs, Shannah xox

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi Shannah, it's lovely to hear that you joined in the celebrations on the other side of the world. Glad you had fun. Thanks for visiting me here,
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  38. Lovely pics and I'm glad you had such a good time before the rain came. Sadly, we missed most of the Jubilee celebrations as we were in Germany, I was very sad but as I'm not married to a Brit, I would have struggled to argue a case to stay and celebrate. Feel like I really missed out on something special though. Oh well. My sister was also down by the river, her work office is at Tower Bridge and overlooks the Thames, she also had a great time but it took her 3 hours to get back home! Bethx (the linen cat)

    ReplyDelete
  39. wow fantastic photos, love your card too, thanks for taking part in the crafters companion blog challenge. Louise xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; I really enjoy reading every single one of them.

To comply with the new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) May 2018 I wish to state that any comments left here are with your consent that your name & comment are visible to anyone who visits my blog and that you accept that your personal information is being used for that specific purpose.

Jane x