Friday 31 January 2014

Greenwich in January

I wrote most of this post and then managed to loose the whole lot...I joke not. I  came to edit it yesterday and managed to erase it...despite me closing it double quick it has saved as empty! I have attempted to re write it but probably the original was better...grrrr. Luckily the photos are saved in my Picasso album so I was able to restore them.

Here are the promised photos I took during our recent visit to Greenwich on my Hb's birthday. It was a glorious sunny day, one of only a few this year. I have decided to divide my photos into 2 posts and show The Old Royal Naval College (ORNC) today and then another time the Royal Observatory and Meridian Dockyard. It was such an interesting day. If you ever have the chance to visit London, Greenwich should be on your must see list.

We took our local train to Blackfriars and then changed to the tube. Blackfriars has been shrouded in scaffolding for many months but has finally reopened and the views of the River Thames from there are marvellous.


 We took the tube to Tower Hill station and emerged to see The Tower of London glinting in the sunshine.
 From Tower Hill we walked across to catch the Dockland Light Railway (DLR) which we took to Cutty Sark. I love travelling on the DLR, it goes through some really cool London sights including Canary Wharf.

 My Hb and I have not visited Greenwich since we were children and we were really impressed how the area has been developed, it used to be quite a dive 40 years ago.
 The Cutty Sark has been fully restored following the fire and now rests in an amazing glass dry dock.


 We walked via the High Street to the the ORNC which stands on the original site of Greenwich Palace, one of Henry V111's favourite palaces. It was built in the 1660s and was designed by Sir Christopher Wren of St' Paul's fame. The buildings are so iconic. The parts of the college which have been opened to the public are also free entry.  The College was open in my lifetime and was originally a hospital for old or injured sailors. It closed as a college in 1998 and is now a top visitor attraction. This was the entrance to the chapel

 The amazing ceiling inside


 We then walked over to the Painted Hall.
 and were blown away by  what lay behind these doors

 How incredible is this for a dining hall. It has been called the finest dining hall in Europe and I certainly agree. The body of Nelson also lay in state here after his death at the Battle of Trafalgar.

Just stunning.
So my card challenge entry today needs to have a vintage theme and is a gift tag and paper set I made for my Hb's friend's 50th birthday. I used my one of my  LOTV fabulous statements stamp which I embossed with green embossing powder. I made an inky background with torn pages of a book and lots of frantage for some sparkle. The tag sentiments are also LOTV from their tags le jardin sentiments. I added some twine and ribbon to finish it off.
I simply stamped onto brown paper with green ink.
and here is the finished paper and tag. The recipient really loved it.
I would like to enter my tag  into the following challenges;

Lili of the Valley anything goes
Fashionable Stamping tag along
Pan Pastel UK anything goes
Ribbon Girl anything goes
Dream Valley No designer paper
Artistic Inspiration anything goes
Crafting from the heart anything goes/fancy folds
The Squirrel and Fox use embellishments
Make it Monday linky challenge #176
Party Time Tuesdays anything goes
Stampin for the weekend anything but a card
Rhedd and Rosie anything goes
Simon says stamp anything goes with twine or string
Oldie but a Goodie Recycle I have recycled some pages of a book (it's the Tale of Two Cities!) and my old are all my LOTV stamps which I won last June (I still pinch myself I won!)

So here we are at the very last day of January and as I type yes it's still raining. It is now officially the wettest January since records began and it shows no sign of drying up yet. The forecast for this weekend is high winds and yet more rain. The only good side of this is that I need no excuse to craft.....I hope everyone else is keeping dry and can carrying on crafting too. We also need to finish off painting our kitchen. Our gardens are going to have to wait. I have another Guest Design post on Monday so do pop back to see what I made for Lexi's Creations new Challenge.

Thanks for visiting and I would also like to give a very warm welcome to my newest followers, it's fun having you here. Please feel at home. Thanks everyone for the lovely comments you so kindly leave, I really love reading them.

Back on Monday,

Bye for now,

Jane x

PS I am sure my regular bloggers want to see how my darling granddaughter Daisy Jane is coming along. She will be 12 weeks old on Monday.......she is just a total delight and is even managing some 8 hours stretches of sleep at night...woop woop for my daughter and SIL!  These are some photos I was sent this week and she's coming up to stay again with her Mummy next week as her Daddy has to work in Dubai for a week...woop woop for Nana ;0)
 Hello from Daisy

xx

28 comments:

  1. What a little pet that Daisy is! :)
    Greenwich is an amazing place, we really enjoyed our day out there when we were last in London, we went by river taxi which was fun ( I need a trip to London)!!!!!! Your photos are brilliant!
    Your tag is as always gorgeous.
    After a dreadful morning here we had a lovely afternoon, forecast for the weekend is a bit grim though. :(
    Have a good weekend whatever the weather Jane,
    V xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for an interesting post, Jane! Your tag and wrapping paper are great, love the historic effects you created. Daisy is looking so cute! Wishing you a happy weekend, hope the rain stops soon.
    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab tag, thank you for joining in Rhedd and Rosie, good luck Hun, Zoe DT xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous tag Jane..love your wee Daisy Jane..and fabulous photos you shared too..
    Thanks for sharing with us at Make it Monday..

    Luv CHRISSYxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you had a great time in London Jane and Daisy Jane is so adorable!

    Another fabulous project as well, I love the matching tag and wrapping paper!

    Thanks for joining our Lili of the Valley 'Anything Goes' challenge!

    Good Luck!

    Hugs

    Erica x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What amazing pictures, must of been a lot of fun.

    Hugs diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos! and a great tag too! Thanks for playing at Crafting From The Heart, hope to see you again soon!
    Tina, DT x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't been to Greenwich since I was at school so good to see your photos of it. Love your tag and paper, beautifully designed and I love the added frantage. Beautiful Daisy photos, give her a cuddle for me and have a great weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jane, wow what lovely photos. Looks like you had a great day out. Gorgeous tag, love the frantage effect. Daisy is such a little darling. Thanks for joining us at Premium Craft Brands PanPastel Challenge this week
    Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Jane! Wow, what amazing and wonderful historic places you shared with us, thank you! I was very interested in the Cutty Sark as I'm a sailor.. what an amazing glass dry dock thing! Daisy Jane is growing, isn't she? She's just a living doll.
    ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing your wonderful tag with us at FSC this time.
    Yvonne
    I did enjoy looking at your fantastic photos as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jane, wow, such a gorgeous tag set! It looks great!!!
    Thank you for joining us at Fashionable Stamping Challenges this fortnight
    Dot x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Daisy is indeed a cute poppet. Your tag is fabulous too Jane, and I love the Frantage stuff - must get some! Great photos of the Cutty Sark - last time I saw her was just before the fires and the new glassed area looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Poor Jane,
    I really feel your pain, loosing a post is so so frustrating! Thank you for persevering, I've really enjoyed going on the visit with you!
    Your card is beautiful! Lucky Friend indeed ;)
    Hello Miss Daisy, so pretty and happy!
    I hope the rain stops soon, we've heard a great deal about it it's terrible...
    Enjoy the week-end, stay dry!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been to London a few times when we lived in England whilst serving in the USAF. Not been to Greenwich though. Thanks for sharing your photos. Amazing old buildings. Yes that one building really was beautiful! I'd like to see London again but not sure when we'd get there. It was fun living in England for 2 years. Two of the best years of my life! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Jane and thank you for a lovely trip with my morning coffee! I have been in Greenwich long time ago and made mistake when told to you that I was there also some years ago. Have to ask my sis what village that was.
    Your card and Paper are fantastic! And Daisy - such a sweet pumpkin and good girl for sleeping so well!
    Have a lovely weekend! x Teje
    ps. do i need to clean the stamps to use other colour?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Morning Jane, Greenwich is not a place if have visited, but think from your photos, I have missed out..must do something to change that...love your tag, hun, and Daisy is just delightful....thank you for sharing with us at Crafting from the Heart this fortnight, best of luck hun xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Daisy Jane is so gorgeous Jane you are a lucky Nana :) The last time I went to the Cutty Sark its was shut it wasn't long after the fire, such a shame but the restoration looks amazing :) So nice to see a sunny day beginning to wonder what a 'real' sunny day is! Lx

    ReplyDelete
  19. HI Jane, such a wonderful tag, love the textured background, and great matching paper.
    Great photos, especially of Daisy.
    Thanks for sharing with us at FSC
    Avril xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fabulous entry for our challenge over at Rhedd & Rosies...x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous photos, both of your visit and your lovely ba-ba! Super recycling to make a brilliant tag and wrap and a lovely stamp choice, not seen that one before, it's lovely...and even nicer if it was won! Thanks for playing at an OBAG, Jx

    ReplyDelete
  22. How cute! Love the tag. Thanks for playing at Crafting From The heart. Hope to see you next time. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for sharing your lovely pics Jane..the Cutty Sark does look amazing in the glass dry dock...I've really enjoyed my trip this morning!
    Love your gift tag and paper too...
    Daisy is looking so sweet and happy!
    Hope you have a great new week,
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dear Jane,

    What a lovely day you had! Those view are amazing, but I must say I was mostly wow'ed by that dining hall, it's spectacular! And spectacularly cute Daisy on the end of the post too, she really is the sweetest! Happy times ahead when your girls come to visit!

    Lovely February!

    Yours,
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Jane,

    Sorry to be so late in commenting---I've already shared your post with my Dad. He is a sailor. This makes me want to come back to London.

    I am totally sympathetic about losing your photos.
    Kisses for Daisy and Billy.

    Anne xx
    PlumCreek Studio

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful tag card - love your photography too by the way (and beautiful baby Granddaughter!). Thanks so much for joining us at Artistic Inspirations. Suz xxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Stunning photos and lovely creation thanks for sharing at stampin for the weekend hugs Rebekah xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love your tag, I stink at tags and have to study what others do just to get an idea. And when I think about it, I don't think they're that much different than a card, go figure.
    any, your tag is great. thanks for sharing that and all your fun pics from your trip.
    Chris V - Easily Amused (SFTW DT)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; I really enjoy reading every single one of them.

To comply with the new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) May 2018 I wish to state that any comments left here are with your consent that your name & comment are visible to anyone who visits my blog and that you accept that your personal information is being used for that specific purpose.

Jane x