Wednesday 8 January 2014

My new journey with Tim

Don't worry I haven't found myself a new Hb...but I have decided that after 2 years of watching as a bystander I am going to jump in feet first and play along with the craft challenge run by the mega talented, Professor of crafting and card making Inspiration...Tom Holtz....and his 12 tags of 2014. For my non card making friends Tim is just HUGE in the crafting world and his company Ranger make many of the products card makers use. Each month he creates a tag for inspiration and opens it up for our own interpretation. His ideas are always genius, this man is able to think outside normal card making constraints and his ideas never cease to amaze me.
JANTAG
 If you would like to play along all the details for 2014 are here. For his first tag of 2014, shown above, he gives an amazing tutorial of how he created it. For my first piece I wanted to use the amazing background he created and the pocket watch as my inspiration. Now I don't own, other than the inks, many of the products he used. I decided that a small post Christmas purchase was in order and I bought the stencil for the inky background and a set of Remnant rubs. If you are a 60s girl like me and you remember Letraset Panoramas with  rub on transfers, these are similar but go on sooo smoothly. If you want a trip down memory lane have a look at this link I always remember the old Letraset ones cracking and leaving half an image behind but  I used to spend many happy hours making pictures ;0) Tim's transfers are amazing and so easy to apply to card stock. Great progress!

I know everyone liked seeing my creative process for the 12 tags of Christmas Funkie Junkie cards I recently made so I am planning  to do the same with Tim's tags. I have also decided that I will mostly make cards rather than tags as I like to use them for the men in my life. My Hb is a big fan of Tim's more male style so this card is destined for his birthday on 20 January.


First I inked and misted my card with Pumice distress ink and dried it.












 then had a practice with a spare piece of card with the stencil and once I was happy used the stencil on my main sheet.











It really makes a cool pattern. I then added some remnant rubs on the card. You can see them in a later photo.
Now at this point I had a dilemma as I do not own any TH dies, which Tim had used to make the pocket watch. I wanted to add this to my card so I decided to improvise and make my own watch out of circle die cuts and a little bit of creativity.






I cut circles and scalloped circles and I embossed them with silver embossing powder in several layers. I also cut an extra black circle as a frame


To make the clock patterned embossed centre I used a stamp from my Lili of the Valley Pretty Vintage set. This is the clock themed stamp from set 45 "Background bits-Industrial". I build up 3 layers of silver embossing powder and in the final layer I pressed the stamp into the hot embossing powder to made an impression. The rim I just left plain.













Here are the components of my watch ready to assemble. I also die cut a happy birthday sentiment for the centre,














I also cut some small labels, numbers and  letters which I embossed with a folder to add the date of my Hbs birthday

I really like the way these came out.









 Now Tim used a little pin to attach his accents to the card...again I have nothing like this but I spotted a great vintage looking pin on the new slippers I was bought for Christmas so I used that instead!

So now it was time to get creative and put my design together. Tim actually cut the side of his pocket watch off his tag but after all the effort I had made to make mine I wanted to leave my one intact.


OK so are you ready to see my very first card................here it is
and here are a few close ups of the details.

Spot the slipper pin holding on the tags ;0)


I need to keep this one a secret from my Hb until his birthday on Monday week, I hope he likes it.

I would like to enter my card into the following challenges;

Tim Holtz 12 tags of 2014 #1
Lili of the Valley  anything goes I have used set 45 Background bits-Industrial from my Pretty Vintage set  to make the embossed pattern inside my pocket watch.
Inky Chicks anything goes
Pan Pastel UK anything goes
Papertake Weekly anything goes
Crafting Musketeers Grunge
Heck of a Challenge New my new are my stencil and my remnant rubs
A Creative Romance  New my new are my stencil and remmant rubs
Jelly Park  New beginnings my new beginning is this new creative journey!
Frilly and Funkie New Year resolution my resolution is to keep trying to exploring all sides of my card making and also to try to enter Tim's Tags every month this year.


I would like to thank Tim for really inspiring  me to try some new techniques of card making which 2 years ago I really didn't think I could do. I have always admired these techniques and now I can not only use my very girlie colouring/floral side (which I still love) , but I can develop a grungy side too.Yes underneath there is a rock chick leaping out to play.......Lili of the valley meets Tim Holtz..what an interesting combination ;0)

Thanks everyone for stopping by today, it's always great to see you here. I hope the rain is keeping out of your homes in the UK and that those of my friends in the USA are surviving their Big Freeze...brrrr, stay warm, safe and carry on crafting.

Back soon,

Bye for now,

Jane x








23 comments:

  1. Jane, congrats on working with Tim.. or Tom? Your card is magnifique! I always am impressed with your artistry. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Teresa I am just following Tim's ideas, it's a monthly challenge I am taking part in! I only wish I was working with him!Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant...Mrs Grungy Rock Chick! :) Seriously though Jane it is amazing, M will love it (so glad you haven't got a new Hb)!!!
    I do remember Letraset well but mostly bad memories, I seem to recall that when you were almost finished, something would go wrong and the whole lot would end up in the bin!!
    Happy middle-of-the-week my friend,
    V xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow Jane - this is a wonderful take on tims tag - love all your own interpretation - so glad you're going to be playing along this year - I loved doing it this year and will be joining in again xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fabulous interpretation Jane, you have this grungy side that has obviously been waiting to burst forth. I love how you improvised, especially the pocket watch. A great job.
    hugs {brenda} x0x

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW Jane, this is awesome, and fabulous step by step, thank you for sharing with us at Crafting Musketeers this month, best of luck xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is fabulous - I would love to start making cards, but shy away from it as I know I would be totally addicted before very long!!

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fantastic that we not only get to hear about your New Year's resolution but actually get to see it working in reality! Love your take on Tim's tag in card form with all that great embossing and plenty of well placed rub ons. Thank you for entering our challenge at Frilly and Funkie. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous interpretation of the January tag Jane. I started these in 2013 with the same resolution and got up to April ... must try harder this year!

    Thanks for joining our Anything Goes challenge - good luck!

    Anne x
    Lili of the Valley

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing your beautiful card for Crafting Musketeers 'grunge' challenge, Hazel, DT Crafting Musketeers x

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely card, Jane,

    And as always, it was fascinating to see all the steps! Your eye for detail is something else - I really like those silvery details!

    Happy creating, dear friend, and many greetings from rainy Finland!

    Yours,
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jane...I love anything with a clock theme and your card is particularly beautiful...although I'm not a card maker I know Mr Holtz is wonderfully talented..I'll look forward to seeing more of your beautiful creations through the year..your Hb will be delighted!
    Hope you're having a great week,
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness gracious, how wonderful Jane! Your card is incredible!! So many fine details and the labor you put into it was well worth the final outcome..beautiful! I know your hubby will love it. I wish you and your whole family a wonderful new year ahead! And happy happy birthday to your mum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous card--love all the wonderful details and techniques you combined on this! TH is good inspiration, huh? :^)
    Really love the neutral palette, too! Thanks so much for sharing this with us at Jellypark Friends. Hope to see you again soon! :^)
    Hugs, Penny

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jane,
    Your project just takes my breath away! I love how you combine elements, techniques, and texture, adding detail after detail! I keep coming back to look at it. Thank you so much for participating in the Frilly and Funkie challenge and sharing your amazing creativity!
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  16. so much work but oh so worth it the depth texture and colour are fabulous
    Hugs Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous, Jane! I love everything by Tim Holz! I have some of his wonderful products myself and work in a bit of grunge among the pretty things whenever I can! I love how you interpreted the idea in your own way. I'm sure your hb will be thrilled with his card.
    Have a wonderful weekend.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Great card, Jane! I love all the wonderful techniques and fabulous detail! Thank you for joining us at Jellypark Friends! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow Jane...fabulous take on Tim's January techniques...enjoy the rest of your weekend...hugs kath xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stunning card - amazing techniques - love it!
    Thanks for playing along at PTW this time.
    Good luck.
    Debs xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW Jane! I'm so tickled that you decided to dive in! Such a wonderful project and a great way to start the New Year!! Thanks for joining our challenge at Frilly and Funkie and I'll be looking forward to your creations ;)) ((hugs)) Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fabulous card, thank you for joining us at the Crafting Musketeers this month, Fran (DT) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am so glad you joined in, as once you start, you will find it becomes part of your monthly routine. Love how you made a card! Your pocket watch is very cool and creative!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; I really enjoy reading every single one of them.

To comply with the new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) May 2018 I wish to state that any comments left here are with your consent that your name & comment are visible to anyone who visits my blog and that you accept that your personal information is being used for that specific purpose.

Jane x