Thursday 24 June 2021

Memories of beach combing in the sunshine

 Over on Instagram ( @jane.tyrrell ) I have been sharing some process photos of a glass Tim Holtz display dome I am making. I bought some at Christmas and decided to make one for each season. I wanted to share my thought process behind my make so I decided to write a blog post. For my summer dome I wanted to save some memories of beach combing in the sunshine. It is one of my favourite pastimes on holidays especially in our beloved Rhodes. I wonder if we will be able to get there this year? Who knows. I love walking along the sandy beach looking at footsteps in the sand and finding shells and even the occasion treasure aka sea glass. 

These are the very cute domes.

I wanted to catch all the essence of these memories in a little 4" dome so I thought long and hard of how to do this. The first thing I did was to get out the jar of shells I keep in my studio. I keep special shells I have collected over the years, including some from the beach where my daughter lives on the South Coast which I have collected with Daisy.

As you can see there is sea glass there too.

I used my tiny Tim Holtz Sideorder dies and embossing folder and cut out some flips flops and "the sea", I also use spray inks to create the sand.

I used the bases of a few flip flops to make my footsteps in the sand,

I coloured some rock candy glitter with alcohol ink to use as sand under some "seaweed" I had also die cut.

I decided to use one of the larger shells I had collected with Daisy to hold the tiny shells and to make them look like they were in the sea using Glossy accents.
Here is everything before assembly. I love how the Glossy accents dry clear and sparkled like the sea. 





Then it was time to put everything together. Here is my finished summer globe. It was hard to photograph with the reflection from the glass. This is the front;
and the back.
and  side view.
I removed the glass to show the inside more clearly. 
and a couple more shots.


I made a spring themed one earlier this year which I shared on IG. This is the link Here they are on my shelf together. 
So now I have a spring globe to remind me of my sweet dino duck babies and especially Eric




and of sunny holidays and beach combing with my family.....sweet memories indeed.
This photo is Circa 2018
and 2020
Jack often prefers the stones to shells! 
and my last visit to Rhodes with my Hb in 2019

I so hope we make it back this year.
In the meantime I will smile when I look at my little glass spring and summer themed display domes. 

Thanks for stopping by,

Bye for now,

Jane x


1 comment:

  1. Such a lovely idea Jane .... just love your handmade sand, the wet-look shells and those tiny flip flops!! :)
    And lovely memories with your grandbabies!!
    Happy weekend my friend,
    V x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; I really enjoy reading every single one of them.

To comply with the new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) May 2018 I wish to state that any comments left here are with your consent that your name & comment are visible to anyone who visits my blog and that you accept that your personal information is being used for that specific purpose.

Jane x