Wednesday 11 November 2015

A jungle of a birthday

Today is my darling granddaughter, Daisy Jane's 2nd birthday. I cannot believe where those 2 years have gone. Just 2 years ago a tiny perfect baby came into the world and today she is a walking, talking loving little girl. I hope one day Daisy will be able to come back and read my blog and that I have kept many of these special memories safe for her in Jane's Journal.

Thank you for all the birthday wishes you sent and I have promised today to give the grand reveal of this year's birthday cake, the photos are further down. First though I thought I would share a little of my cake making past.

Both of my children have very fond memories of their own childhood birthday parties when I would always made them a cake. We were having a reminisce and my son particularly remembered his Noddy cake when he was 4 (he's now 26).....he had me making a car with Noddy in and all the little skittles too...I have shared this photo before but for my newer readers this is that cake circa 1993. I made everything out of fondant icing other than the bell, the steering wheel, the skittle arms and the windshield.
Noddy Circa 1993
We always had a theme each year so it was no surprise that my own daughter wanted a theme for Daisy's party. She chose Zoo/jungle animals as Daisy just adores animals. She also adores the DVD and books called 64 Zoo Lane. I even managed to get the author to sign some books to Daisy last year. My daughter found this fun party ware, which is very "64 Zoo Lane" style, and this is what I based my cake design on.
Over the last month I have been working on making the fondant icing animals. I use shop bought fondant icing, some is pre coloured some I colour with pastes. I just make these by hand.
Hello Mr Giraffe..................

Here are the basic shapes. I made several frog heads as I was not quite sure which I preferred! A couple were too alien for my liking.
 Of course these needed eyes...I made lots of these....
I gradually added the details...spots, horns, mane etc
 until these happy souls appeared.
Some of the leaves I hand cut for others I used a new set of leaf cutters. This is a great set as they are double edge, serrated or plain.
and yes my little crocodile came into being as well as palm trees and snakes. I cut into the sides of the leaves with a knife to make them look more "jungley" (I know that not a word but you know what I mean!)

Then on Friday after work I spent 5 hours putting everything together...I only took 1 under construction photo as I could not keep stopping and taking photos plus my  hands were covered in icing.
The base cake is my usual all in one simple Victoria sponge with raspberry conserve and buttercream inside. I use an 8" round tin,

I covered it with a thin layer of shop bought white fondant icing for the base.
Below is the sneek peek I shared on Monday. I decided to put my round cake onto a 12" square board so that I could create a jungle scene. I made a sky at the top and a river and water fall flowing onto the cake board. I stuck fondant "rocks" around the edge and "floated" Mr Croc in the water. In the finished photos you will see how I added movment to the water, this was just the start!
OK so here is the big reveal.
The light on Saturday was poor so my camera struggled. Here is Mr Purple Elly and his frog friend and there's a snake in the leaves sleeping.
Mr Giraffe
You can see below how I added a feeling of movement to the water fall and river just by using my modelling tools. 

Some of the details around the edge of the cake..palm tree and coconuts and some sneaky eyes peeping out from the undergrowth ;0)
A happy snake ;0)
The birthday candle holders, 2 of course. These are also made of fondant icing. The candles are of course real!
And some clouds in the sunny sky. I added a wash of coloured royal icing around the corners of the board to give some extra texture. I took some time deliberating where to add Daisy's name and eventually decided to write Daisy's name on one of the clouds. I think this worked well. I often add sentiments on my card on my cloud dies so this was an idea from my cardmaking.

So here is the cake all in place at the party
and the table with my daughter's brilliant cupcakes
She found these fun rice paper cake toppers which matched the party ware.
A fun time was had by all.
Including me and my darling girlie
and of course the party girl who was fascinated when the candles were lit and we all sang happy birthday to her. 
She was helped to blow out the candles by her Mummy and Daddy

and she even helped Mummy and Daddy cut the cake and make a wish.........


What fun family times, we are so blessed.

Happy Birthday darling Daisy, enjoy your special day and your trip  to the zoo with Mummy and Daddy. 

There are a couple of challenges I can enter my cake into so I would like to enter it into;

Pixie's snippets Playground week #202 I have used a lot of snippets of fondant icing for Daisy's cake!
Country View The colour blue I have used the colour blue in my river, waterfall and sky!

 I also have a challenge card of course today and yes it had to be Daisy's birthday card. One of her favourite creatures in the world is our Billy, the cat. I have a wonderful Lily of the Valley stamp which I thought looks like Daisy with our Billy.  I coloured it up with Promarkers and made a special easel card for her.

 I even managed to sneak in my Tim Holtz bird and branch die....I am sure Tim would be shocked to see it used here but I think it works really well. The backing papers are Wild Rose Studio.
Below is the inside, I used my pretty floral embossing folder.
and a side view

I would like to enter my card (my cake challenges are above) into these fun challenges;

NoorUK anything goes
Ribbon Girl any thing goes card
Pile it on leaves
We love to create # 23 anything creative/mixed media
Simon Says Stamp Monday N is for.....November birthday, Nature and Number (2) on my card
Try it on Tuesday create a scene
Crafting for all seasons embossing
Creative Inspirations anything goes
Inspiration Journal mission embossoble

Thanks for visiting me here today. Now that all birthday cakes and cards are are made I will be full steam ahead getting Christmas prepared...there are cards and of course my crackers to make too.......and just 44 days left til the big day ;0)

Back soon,

Bye for now,

Jane x

27 comments:

  1. Oh Jane! I've been scrolling up and down here for ages marvelling at the fabulous jungle cake you made for Daisy. The detail is amazing with some lovely twists of humour too. So, so talented - it's stunning! (And I adore the Noddy one you made for your son all those years ago too). AND, Daisy's Birthday card is a beauty too - now I think you need to go and rest for a week! You must be worn out - but so worthwhile!

    Hugs

    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have had a great birthday party and the card you made is gorgeous. Thank you for sharing it with us at TioT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jane and Thank You for spending so much time sharing the "making of"
    You are so talented. That cake, like every cake you create was amazing!
    I've enjoyed all the photos, details and the multi-dimensional construction.
    Your card is absolutely darling!
    Love, love the picture of you and your DD, two models!
    HUgs~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awe what an amazing cake Jane, I love it that Daisy loves animals!
    It looks like you all especially Daisy had a wonderful day. :) Her card is beautiful too, she's lucky to have such a talented loving grandmother.
    Happy, happy 2nd birthday Daisy Jane!
    V x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its is a beautiful card with a lovely scene and image. Thank you for sharing it with us at TioT's.
    Your birthday cakes look fabulous, with the wonderful decorations.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous family party full of love and joy.. *H*A*P*P*Y* * *B*I*R*T*H*D*A*Y*!*!*!* again, to Daisy Jane! Wonderful card.. and the cake is magnificent! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Jane, I think you need to change careers and go into Novelty cakes. Totally amazing and so professional. Looks like Daisy had an amazing day and how lovely to document it all in your journal.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. what an amazing cake and thanks for the reminder of 64 zoo lane - i had completely forgotten that one - My Lucy loved it - for obvious reasons - was that Kevin the crocodile i spied too? Brilliant! Love your card too! And thanks for joining us at Countryview challenges for the colour blue challenge! Hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jane you did a fantastic job with that cake. Happy Birthday to Daisy looks a great party.
    Rosezeeta

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow amazing job on everything...beautiful card...thanks for sharing at pile it on

    Tina
    dt

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a sweet card Jane, love that image and the overhanging branches!! Now about that cake...WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!, that`s awesome!! I can`t believe you let people cut into it after all that work! I would have the thing bronzed and sitting on my display shelf!! Looks like fun was had by all. hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Jane this was all so amazing! I was inthralled reading this post and how you did the whole process. It really was a month in the making and so well put together. You had a lovely crowd for Daisy's Day. Loved the cake cutting photos. The card is brilliant and so darling just like sweet "2" year old Daisy!
    Thanks for sharing, xoRobin

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well all I can say is WOW... Totally, jawdroppingly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like everyone had an amazing party - and what a cake - just fantastic! It's a lovely card too, but the cake has really stolen the show!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a lovely creation! Thanks for playing at Creative Inspirations! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow Jane what an amazing mom and grandmom you are ....I too have fond memories of the effort my mom took for my birthdays and now try to do the same with my daughter!!
    Cheers
    Dr Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday to you, Dear Daisy Jane!! I cannot believe she is 2 already!! It feels like just yesterday when I mailed her "Moses basket" new baby card. Looks like a super fun day with fantastic jungle cake. Thinking of all of you.....
    Anne D.T. ---hugs and a kiss for Daisy.
    PlumCreek22

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW what a talented cake decorator you are!! it's fabulous and thank you so much for sharing your wonderful day with us all - absolutley gorgeous - oh and a lovely card too - thank you for joining in with the Ribbon Girl November Card Challenge - good luck - Mary x www.ribbongirl.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful! I love the cake and your card!
    Thank you for joining us at Crafting for all seasons
    Veronique DT

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful card. Papers are gorgeous too! And the cake... there are no words you certainly are very talented and have the patience of a saint! Thanks for sharing with us at Crafting for All Seasons.
    Stacey, DT x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your card is gorgeous but I must say that your cake is amazing! I used to make cakes for all my boys but now they make the cakes for my grandchildren's birthdays - I guess I taught them well as their cakes always look brilliant! Thank you for joining us at Try It On Tuesday! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dear Jane,

    Happy, happy, happy belated birthday to sweetest little Daisy! I can't believe it has been two years already, but looking these pictures... She is a big girl already, blowing those candles and all! And that cake! What a masterpiece, just spectacular - all those happy animals, love, love, love!

    Wishing you all the most wonderful November days, happy C-crafting (which I know you will do a lot :) dear friend!)!

    Yours,
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a darling card and thank you so much for sharing that wonderful masterpiece of a cake and for playing along with us over on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog... :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. wow-what an amazing cake creation - it's a pity to eat it. Love your card too - very sweet and showing a different style from you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is a fabulous card, such a pretty image and great design.
    Such a wonderful cake - brilliant details.
    Thank you for joining us at Crafting for all Seasons.
    I have candy on my blog if you would like to take a look - http://craftingwithcotnob.blogspot.co.uk/
    Pauline
    x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such a sweet and happy card! I also love the cake... simply wow!!! Thank you for joining us at Noor! Design UK challenges. We hope to see you again next round.
    Hugs, Karina DT

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow Jane! Your cake is just amazing (as is the Noddy cake). We used to get a Doogle cake from Bettys in Ilkley when we were kids, which as a total highlight but it wasn't a patch on your hand made creations. Lovely to see Daisy, I cannot believe she is 2 already. Happy (very belated) Birthday to the little cutie. Bethx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; I really enjoy reading every single one of them.

To comply with the new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) May 2018 I wish to state that any comments left here are with your consent that your name & comment are visible to anyone who visits my blog and that you accept that your personal information is being used for that specific purpose.

Jane x