Friday 27 March 2020

A new garden, Mindful Moments 2

Hello again dear blogging friends. I am back with my second Mindful Moments post. If you did not see my first and wonder what these are do check out my first post here. I know a lot of people read it and I really hope you found it a moment to make you smile in these turbulent times.

This is a pretty long post, do make yourself a cuppa and pull up a seat. 

 So a week on and here in the UK we are now in lock down for at least the next 3 weeks while the cases of covid 19 escalate.  I must admit on Monday evening when the PM announced the lock down  I think everyone went into shock. Even though I think we all realized that it was coming when the realization came true it did hit hard. This is perfectly normal and a very human response.  However once everything had sunk in we started to see the very best in human nature. Kind souls rallying around for their elderly neighbours and this includes my parents caring neighbours who are picking up their milk etc for them. Our neighbour next door is 69 and fiercely independent but I am keeping an eye out and I have told him to ask if he needs anything at all, we are here.
Last night was extraordinary as at 8pm we experienced the first Clap for our NHS/Carers. Everyone and I mean everyone in our road opened their widows or doors and clapped. We will be doing this every night to give thanks to our amazing NHS and those who are caring for the vulnerable and also to remind everyone to stay at home to do our bit to help. I will confess I had a slightly moist eye as I found this so very touching. 

Bear is making slow but sure progress and the most wonderful thing about the weather since Monday is that we have been blessed with the most amazing sunshine. The skies have been clear blue from dawn to dusk and he has been able to rest on the new lawn, it is like a green duvet for him.
 I have shown a few sneaks peeks of my new garden so I thought for today's post I would share my new garden story with some photos.

We were not due to have our landscaping work started until now but we had a call back in late January that due to a cancellation our Landscapers could start on the Monday. Well of course we jumped at the chance and it is very spooky that we never knew what lay ahead. If we had to wait until now our garden work would not have gone ahead this year.

This was the work in progress in January, they are such a fab crew and worked so hard. 
The whole and I mean whole garden was dug up. Luckily the weather was dry at the time but boy it was a mud bath.
New raised beds were built,
 new paths laid

and a new lawn laid. 

 Everything was left for a month to settle down and then the weekend before lock down my darling son came over and top dressed my raised beds for me and put in my very first plants. 


A winter jasmine,
a hydrangea
 and a rosemary which has the most gorgeous blue flowers and scent which attracts the bees. 
That day we enjoyed with our son is a very treasured memory for now. I know I won't be able to buy more plants for a while but I have found some seeds which came free with Gardener's World magazine last year, which I will try planting in April. 

So now as I sit out in the sunshine, sipping my cappuccino next to the rosemary I can hear the bees buzzing
and I feel so very grateful for my tiny piece of paradise. 
I know how lucky I am to have this wonderful space to sit in 

 and a safe haven for Bear to fully recover. 
My project today is a little bookmark I was inspired to make after sitting outside in the spring sunshine for Jack, my nearly 3 year old grandson.
I caught a wish for him and put it in his little jar. These delightful stamps are by Tracey Easson. I used green distress inks for the background and coloured Morty the mouse with Zig markers. 

I would like to enter it into the following challenges;

Moving along with the times 1/3 anything but a card
Creative fingers 2/3 anything goes
Simon says stamp Wednesday anything goes
Addicted to stamps and more 1/3 make your mark
Through the dark room door 1/3 anything goes
Crafty sentiments 2/3 anything goes
C.R.A.F.T 1/3 spring/Easter


So I have lots of reason to smile today; my gorgeous new garden is finished, Bear is recovering (very slowly but surely), I have been able to dry my washing outside, the bees are buzzing and the sun is shining.

Here is my little quote for today.

Kind hearts are the garden, kind thoughts are the roots,
Kind words are the flowers, kind deeds the fruits.
Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds,
Fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds.

Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. 


Keep safe, keep mindful, keep clapping and keep washing those hands. Thanks so much for stopping by.

Back soon,

Bye for now,

With love, Jane x

8 comments:

  1. I know it's a worrying time but I feel that God has said STOP and slow down, we need to heal and how blessed we are to be able to enjoy nature. I'm happy to hear Bear is improving and enjoying your garden as well as the attention. Take care Jane and I hope you and your family stay safe xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm catching up on my blog visiting and loved reading your post - I scrolled back and read Mindful Moments 1 too as I missed it when you posted it. It's a difficult time for us all, but lovely to see communities coming together. Our street were clapping for the NHS too at 8pm yesterday and it brought a lump to my throat listening to all the clapping at cheering from all the nearby streets too. Thank you for sharing the photos of your garden makeover. Someone sent me a quote this week - "To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow" (Audrey Hepburn) It seems particularly relevant at the moment with so many people spending time in their gardens. xx

    I love your little bookmark, I'm sure Jack will be delighted with it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another lovely post my friend!
    I'm so glad gorgeous Bear is on the mend.
    Your newly landscaped garden is wonderful and you were so lucky getting it completed in January, we were going to get the outside of our house painted last autumn but decided to wait until spring after the worst of the weather, not sure when that's going to happen now.
    Love the little bookmark, Jack will love it!
    Stay safe my dear and a huge clap for our NHS!!
    V x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Jane.. I am so impressed with the new garden!! And what a wonderful son to plant things for you like that. Now I wish we could get some stonework paths and raised gardens like that. The CV is spreading like wildfire here now. What a disaster. Sorry your PM is infected. Stay safe and I know you'll be passing the time making your wonderful cards. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your lovely posts Jane, your garden looks beautiful , a gorgeous Magnolia too. Best wishes to you all, and Bear, he looks adorable, speedy recovery xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your new garden looks beautiful and Bear looks like he is enjoying it too -love the little bookmark and cute Mouse-hope you stay safe and well
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  7. The garden looks wonderful, and the mousey is amazing,

    Hugz Tinz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your bookmark. This stamp set is cute and your colouring fabulous. Beautiful garden too ! Thanks so much for sharing and for playing along at ATSM.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; I really enjoy reading every single one of them.

To comply with the new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) May 2018 I wish to state that any comments left here are with your consent that your name & comment are visible to anyone who visits my blog and that you accept that your personal information is being used for that specific purpose.

Jane x