Thursday 19 January 2017

Cold enough for snow

Our topsy turvey winter weather continues here in the south of  England.  We are back to crisp cold days. So beautiful but so chilly. It is cold enough to snow but nothing more has happened since the short lived appearance of snow last week. This was the view from my backdoor as I let out Billy this morning. Needless to say he didn't stay out long.

More pretty Jack Frost patterns on my studio windows.....brrr
but once the sun came up the light was beautiful...I even managed a bokeh effect in my photos. Bokeh literally means blur and is used to describe the pretty blur//soft/out of focus background effect you can achieve in photography. Some people just call is background blur. I really do appreciate that "real photographers" will correct me and tell me that it is to do with the lens and not the camera but I'm not getting technical here and yes bokeh can be different shapes not just circles. 
I find that if I take a photo into the sun (NB you must never look directly into the sun) I often get a pleasing bokeh effect from my camera. 

It's far too cold to garden at the moment so in my "free"time I decided to combine some fun challenges which are running at the moment and also try out a new technique for me. Over at Darnell's blog she is running a NBUS challenge.This acronym stands for, in Darnell language, "never before used stuff!" And I have plenty. I wanted to use the song "Let it snow" for the challenge over at the Craft Barn. For A Vintage Journey I also wanted to do something new with circles. Frillly and Funkie are asking for winter hues...I used blue and white from their list and Craft stamper just want stamping. After looking at the Bokeh effect in my photos I remembered a fun circles technique I have often admired but never tried..of course.... making a bokeh background! Most crafters just use white pigment ink through a circle stencil but I thought I would make inky circles too!
I added drops of my distress re-inkers onto wet watercolour paper and just played around..... adding more colours, spritzing with water, blotting and drying.  I used the colours I had seen in my garden photo...blue sky, the sun and the green of my lawn.
I carried on until I was happy with my inky circles.
Next I got my NBUS....my Clarity circles stencil I bought last autumn.
I then added white pigment ink to complete my bokeh effect

As the weather has been so cold I decided that I would make my backing into a card as the Craft Barn is asking for us to use the song "Let it snow". To me this song was made famous by Dean Martin. I stencilled the words at the top and then using my tree TH stencil added lots of pine trees.
Another item of NBUS...was inked up. My lovely Inkyliscious cabin stamp sent to me by my lovely friend Di of Pixie's Snippets playground from her recent giveaway. I used a Kraft card blank to mount it on after distressing the edges. I also added some more snow with dots from white gel pen.

I'm calling it a winter card as I rarely make Christmas cards until the autumn 😉
and a close up
I really had great fun making this and in the process I learnt a new technique which I will certainly use again.

I made my card for the following challenges;


A vintage journey going round in circles I certainly did..inky circles, bokeh and even dots for my falling snow. 

Darnell is having an amazing giveaway celebrating her 5 years blogging. For this challenge I have used Kraft card but instead of colouring it with pencils I used it as a card blank. I tried a new technique....making a bokeh background.

Craft Stamper take it make it January anything goes

The Craft Barn song challenge Let it snow to me made famous by Dean Martin...I added his name at the bottom of my card.

Frilly and Funkie winter hues they require us to use all or some of these colours...blues, white, silver or grey. I have used lots of blue and white as well as the other winter colours I saw in my cold wintery garden.

It has been so cold again today....yes cold enough to show. I must admit I do like a little of the white stuff so I will close with a few words from the fun winter song....

Well the weather outside is frightful
But the fire is so delightful 
And since we've no place to go...
let it snow, let it snow, let it snow....

Well actually I do have a place to go tomorrow as it's a very special birthday for my dear  Hb.... we're off to London for a special lunch...so perhaps we'll delay the snow for a day or two if that's OK with you all?

Thanks so much for stopping by today and for all the kind comments you leave me. Keep snug.

Back soon,

Bye for now,

Jane x







20 comments:

  1. wow, gorgeous effect with the reinkers. good luck with those challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE that card design, Jane! One thing about the bokeh effect, sometimes what looks like bokeh is actually dust on your lens. So, make sure to use a dust free cloth to clean your lens especially if you're shooting into bright light or especially sunlight. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I had to delete my first comment, predictive text turned bokeh into broken. I couldn't leave it like that. What I meant to say was "Fabulous card. Love the bokeh background."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that background is super and looks so good made into a card!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a brilliant effect, I do hope when people buy your cards they realise the amount of work that goes into them.
    However let it not snow...please! It was actually quite mild here today.
    Happy birthday to M, it was my boys birthday today!
    Happy weekend my friend,
    V x

    ReplyDelete
  6. First, what beautiful photos! Second, your card is gorgeous...that background is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was so intrigued by what I saw over in the gallery on Darnell's blog that I had to come over and take a closer look...WOW!!! Your card is absolutely stunning Jane! I've made a few attempts at the bokeh backgrounds, but nothing to compare to yours! All the detail is just fabulous!! Love it and thanks so much for all the detailed instructions and inspiration!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I'm loving your card! I wasn't sure where this was going but I'm just amazed at the end result and find it really beautiful. I don't think I could do something a wondrous as this. Loving your pics as well especially the closeup of the pant and the window...very Dr. Zhivago

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this card, Jane, perhaps because I love snow so much (we're desperate for a bit more....but I also appreciate how hard it is for others to work in etc). Have a great weekend!! Bx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely card Jane, such a wonderful layer upon layer of techniques : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was a fantastic post, Jane! I love your outdoor photos and the frost bokeh, which lead nicely to the detailed photo journey of how you made your wild bokeh background and then, BAM, your finished card took my breath away!! It is an amazing winter scene and incredibly beautiful! Thank you so much for playing in my NBUS Challenge #8! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow your bokeh piece is just wonderful Jane!! I adore the colours you used in the background, and your trees create a wonderful wintery scene around the log cabin!! Your photos look fantastic! I think my favourite bokeh shots are when the leaves in the distance are lit with sunlight. The depth of field causes it to look like twinkling Christmas lights, so beautiful! Love your frost shot, we haven't had anything so wonderful like that! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous card, love the background too - shear genius. Thank you for entering The Craft Barn Song Title Challenge xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful winter card, Jane!! I adore your background. The finished effect is stunning! Thank you so much for joining us at the Frilly and Funkie Challenge!
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love using the Bokeh technique and I love how you have used it for your background. The effect is perfect for your focal imagery. Thanks so much for joining us at A Vintage Journey. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a stunning effect. Thanks for playing along with the Craft Stamper challenge xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loving the clever bokeh background with the forest and winter cabin Jane. Thank you so much for joining us at Frilly and Funkie xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. The bokeh technique is perfect for a winter card.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is so cool, Jane! Love the bokeh technique and the colors you used. The stenciled trees are fantastic too. This is one fantastic card! Great to have you playing with us again at Frilly and Funkie!

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jane...I love this! It was so fun to see the progression of how those inks blended and changed. The final card was a wonderful surprise. Thanks so much for sharing with us at the Frilly and Funkie Winter Hues Challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; I really enjoy reading every single one of them.

To comply with the new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) May 2018 I wish to state that any comments left here are with your consent that your name & comment are visible to anyone who visits my blog and that you accept that your personal information is being used for that specific purpose.

Jane x