Saturday 21 January 2017

Celebrations

We are enjoying a very special weekend celebrating my darling Hb's 60th birthday. How time flies...I cannot believe how he has reached this milestone...I am sure that we are still in our twenties..aren't we? 😊
We went up to London yesterday to enjoy a celebratory birthday lunch and we are being joined today by our dear family to continue with the celebrations.

London yesterday was so beautiful in the cold winter sunshine.
Just look at that sky...


 and our meal at Gymkhana in Mayfair was delicious.
Pink gin was a new one for us but a firm favourite now!


We're not huge fans of icing so I made a topper for his Victoria sponge birthday cake which I baked this morning.
I had already made this topper last week. I bought a couple of patterned mini rolling pins at a show some years ago but had never used them.



I had a practice and really liked this flourish pattern.




So I used it on my topper icing base. I crimped the edge





I piped and painted the border and made some cut out stars.










Here it is sitting on the table ready for everyone to arrive..


Would you like a virtual slice 😉
So my card today is of course his birthday card.
He loves grungy cards so I made him one for a very "special delivery". The background was made with distress paints. I had already added some remnant rubs as a resist. I played with lots of circles, buttons and embossing folders for some texture for the focal. The book page is from "A tale of two cities" one of his favourite novels. The stamped birthday sentiment is Clearly Besotted.

My card was made for these challenges;

Darnells' NBUS surprise challenge #8

Darnell is having an amazing giveaway celebrating her 5 years blogging. For this challenge I have used Kraft card as a blank and also as part of my focal.  Instead of colouring it with pencils I used it as part of my tied focal, the first time I have tried this. My never before used stuff is the type key embossing folder and the grey button from a set hidden away in my stash.

A vintage journey going round in circles I have circles in my embossing folder piece, my button and the 0 of my die cut 60!

Creative Moments something new my new is the grey button, from a never yet used set!

Paper Creator anything goes

Scrapbook and cardmaking,  Bastel-truam friendship/love this card was made with lots of love for my soul mate x



Right the family are due to arrive in the next half and hour so I must dash. Enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone and thanks as always for your kind comments and also for the lovely birthday wishes you left for my Hb on Thursday.

Back soon,

Bye for now,

Jane x




23 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Martin,

    May your milestone-weekend be fantastic! That meal and that cake look so so delicious! Enjoy this special time, a big&warm birthday hug all the way from cold Finland!

    Yours,
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  2. *H*A*P*P*Y* * *B*I*R*T*H*D*A*Y*!*!*!* to your husband.. all the way from your blog friend in Oregon USA! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to your hubbie, love the cake!
    I went to Kew today and it was cold but beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello dear Jane and a very happy Birthday to Hubby Martin!
    It sounds like it has been a delightful celebration.
    Your cake is awesome and that card so interesting, so many yummy details!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. awe Happy Birthday Martin!!
    I hope he enjoyed all his celebrations, the meal looked wonderful and what a fantastic cake!!
    Amazing card too!
    Enjoy the rest of your weekend too,
    V xx
    P.S. yes of course...we're all in our twenties. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cake and card are fabulous -- I could not decorate a cake like that if my life depended on it! The cake will be gone in no time but the card will last forever!
    You all are still youngsters!!
    Sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a nice celebration for your husband's 60th birthday. I like how you decorated his cake. I make mine pies as he would rather have that than cake. My hub had his 60th last month. It's amazing how time flies. I don't feel 60+ ish myself with my bday next month. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You definitely know how to make a husband feel very special and celebrate a milestone occasion with flare, Jane!! The trip to London (the gorgeous weather is also something to celebrate!), the fantastic meal, and that utterly amazing birthday cake are all awesome! And, as if that weren't enough, you spent a great deal of time and thought on making him an artistic grunge masterpiece in a style that he loves, with personal touches like the page from one of his favorite novels! I'm in awe!! Thank you for playing again in my NBUS Challenge #8! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved your grungy card for your dh. Brilliant idea to add the page from his favourite book! Like the corrugated paper too...adds to the grunge look.

    Your London photos look wonderful. Wished I was there!
    Your cake looks fab and the topper sure turned out well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy belated birthday to your husband, and wishes for many more. It looks like the two of you had a good time. I never thought to just do a topper for a cake like this. I may borrow your idea sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you've celebrated in style. Your cake is AMAZING - and so is your wonderfully grungy card.

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous card Jane. Lots of wonderful layers and your background is amazing. I'm sure he will treasure this forever! Looks like you had a wonderful birthday celebration. Saw the sights, tasted the food! That cake looks delish! So you are right about parts of Canada having lots of snow. My parents live just 3 hours north of me and they have several feet of snow, my brother is a mere 20 minutes away and he has a foot of snow!! I believe we moved into some bizarre weather belt that has no weather!! Nestled between the two lakes, we don't seem to be getting the same weather as everyone else! It's January and there's new grass growing!! My hubby will call me from work and say 'It's snowing', so I run to the window, and nothing!! It's really bizarre!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like you have a lot of precious memories from the birthday celebrations. A great idea to just put an icing topper on your cake, I always eat around the icing as it's so sweet. Fab masculine design for your card, love it.
    Hugs, Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy belated Birthday to your husband, Jane...and wishing him a wonderful year ahead. Your celebrations sounded fantastic and your cake decoration is such a good idea....not too much super sweet icing. Lovely card too.....I love grungy ones myself even though I love pretty things too :)
    Have a great week.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy birthday to your hubby Jane - looks like you had a wonderful time and your cake and card are amazing! Hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy 60th to your dear hubby Jane! What a wonderful way to celebrate, and how lovely your cake and card turned out! I thank you for your wonderful visit..I have been so far away from my blog and really loved hearing from you. I hope this year brings you and yours good health, peace, and a lot of joy, Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh how lovely Jane - I missed this and am glad I just spotted it. Love your piccies of London and the 'eats' - and Martin's case is super. I wonder if you could use an embossing folder to imprint icing? Snigger :)

    Belated Birthday wishes to Martin! You still need to catch us up :)

    Hugs

    Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, big congrats on this milestone! The London photos do indeed look wonderful and the cake you made looks amazing! As to the card? Super and I am sure much loved! Thanks so much for adding it to our challenge at AVJ

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Birthday, Mr T. You're in good company, my HB celebrated is 61st birthday in mid-January. Cheers from the T family in America, PlumTrees22 (keep warm) xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Eek! What a pretty vintagy/grungy card! I bet he loved it! And Tim Holtz would be very proud of you, too! Thanks so much for sharing it with Bastel-Traum! Hugs from Switzerland, Tina

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment; I really enjoy reading every single one of them.

To comply with the new Data Protection legislation (GDPR) May 2018 I wish to state that any comments left here are with your consent that your name & comment are visible to anyone who visits my blog and that you accept that your personal information is being used for that specific purpose.

Jane x